Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: POL Chickens wanted  (Read 6785 times)

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
POL Chickens wanted
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »
We're blinking fed up  :(

A fox came this afternoon(!) and killed all but one of our chickens. It piled them all up neatly by it's wee hole in the fence to get them again later. Don't know how it made the hole as it's well fenced so must have been planning it for a while.  >:(

Anyway, we're looking for older or POL chickens.  Anything considered but must be a good laying breed as we sell our excess to local shops.

We're looking for 20 or more hens (fox killed 10 today)  :'(

Preferably in Central Scotland.

Thanks!

Clairie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: POL Chickens wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:16:28 pm »
Sorry to hear about this - it's so demoralising. Try AA McIntyre - I got some good Black Rock POL from hims.

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:16:27 am »
Thanks for the tip Rosemary.  :)  I've sent them an email about prices.

If anyone on here has any going, please let me know x

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »
HI CLAIRE I HAVE 6 RIR 2YR OLD, 2 BLACK ROCK AND 2 ACONAS 8MONTHS OLD ALL LAYING, I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR £35 FOR THEM ALL IF YOUR INTERESTED GIVE ME A SHOUT. THIS IS WHAT I PAID FOR THE BRS AND ACONS ALONE:) IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED GET IN TOUCH ....CHEERS ...JOHN
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »
So, John you giving up with the chooks now or have you been to another sale? The girls you gave me are doing so well, no baldness in sight now.

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:01:36 pm »
Hello james my friend, as you know when starting with these things its a learning curve:). so a wee bit of both been to another sale got some isla browns ...lovely birds great nature,run about the garden in the hoose oh dear maybe letting them go to far lol, so my plan now is more isla browns, i will miss the eggs at first but in time the eggs will be back.

cheers for now james
Currently haved 3 x 5 months old peking bantams,2 x isa brown, 1 x welsummer and 5 welsummer chicks and thats me at my full quota, their great fun and i think everybody should keep a couple of chooks as there great and the eggs are a bonus  LOL

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:10:06 pm »
I'm off to the sale in Stirling in a few weeks, I am after some Indian Runner Ducks. I also have ordered a new hen house which will hold 12 and have ordered 1 Black Rock, 1 Sussex Star and 2 of something else - sorry their name escapes me and then I will have 11 choocks, very addictive but no more after that as the new house holds 12. This should all be delivered in 4/5 weeks, saw the houses at the Royal Highland Show and was very impressed by them.

QWOLF

• Joined May 2009
  • DOLLAR
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »
THE NEXT LANARK SALE IS ON 6TH AUGUST ITS REALLY VERY GOOD ALL THE BIRDS YOU MENTION AND LOTS MORE ARE THERE REALLY GOOD DAY OUT:)

sandy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:44 pm »
James how come you are allowed out? I get stuck in doing beds and hoovering!!!!! I want more but love my Ducks and am still pondering!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:51 pm »
James how come you are allowed out? I get stuck in doing beds and hoovering!!!!! I want more but love my Ducks and am still pondering!!!!

Sandy, I work 7 days a week, minimum of 14 hour days, 49 weeks of the year - do you grudge me the odd half day off?? (can you hear the violins?)
I have not had a day off since January, went to the Highland Show and had to work when we got back. Last week drove to Cumbria for the Golden Guernseys and worked when we got back. I must have been a very  bad person in a previous life!

And before anyone jumps on the band wagon I know this is the life I chose and I am not complaining, or maybe just a wee bit!

sandy

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »
OK, you can have a day off, otherwise you would go mad..hang on...is that whats gone wrong with me!!!! I walk around as see jobs everywhere but would much rather go out with the dos forraging or sit with the birds!!!!! As steve is out "working" ha ha ha!!!! he only is able to help out at weekends so we have a good old hoover!!!! and he sells the eggs but hqas never touched the poo!!1 thats my job now is that fair?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
Sandy I would like to correct you - it will be a few hours off, not a day.

I have never been to a Poultry sale before so I am looking forward to going. I think perhaps Kerstin may be coming with me if you want to go? I hope to buy some Indian Runners as I have always wanted some. Before I hatched the lot you got your 2 from I hatched 6 Runners for someone else and they were beauties. I would have kept the lot if I could have but as I said I hatched them for someone else!

sandy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:30 pm »
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..would love to but not in my contract!!!!

Clairie

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 02:20:06 pm »
Erm - thanks for hijacking my thread!  ::)  ;)

I'll give you a wee pm  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 02:23:07 pm by Clairie »

sandy

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »
  :-[sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS