Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming/fluke orphan lambs  (Read 2159 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Worming/fluke orphan lambs
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »
At what age do you all fluke/worm your tame lambs? Ours were born late Jan/middle Feb and are now all out grazing in the back garden. I'm very aware that this weather is just right for fluke- mild and damp, so am wondering whether they should be treated with combinex this week (this is what we used last year and it did the trick, plus we have a bit left that is still in date).
We are aiming to kill the first 7 early August, and the other 5 early September. It has a 60 day withdrawal, if we treat them now, when would they next need treatment? Or should we wait a little longer until middle-late May and worm then, then it would be the latest they could be wormed for the withdrawal period.
I don't want to worm them this week to find they would be due again in June and muck up the withdrawal periods for meat, as don't want them to go over fat. We wormed last year but the 2 lambs raised the year before were not treated and had flukey livers- this is what I want to prevent as it obviously is a flukey area down here.

Help!  :thinking:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Worming/fluke orphan lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »
You seem to be answering your own question , why not use combinex in early june if you must, that covers the withdrawal period and buy a straight wormer to use now, fluke should not be a problem at this time of year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS