Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen eating eggs .....!!!  (Read 4599 times)

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
Hen eating eggs .....!!!
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:33:30 am »
Hi all .... now I know it's difficult .... but can any-one offer advice ....

I've isolated the hen that is eating some of my eggs ..... how do I stopp her, what is the best method you have tried .... or do I just wring her neck .....

Cheers

Pete

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Hen eating eggs .....!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:50 am »
Hi one thing we tried was to get an egg and 'blow' it ie small hole top and bottom we then with a syringe filled it with a mustard paste the hen tried it once or twice and gave up we did this every other day over a week, when she went back with the rest she had stopped eating eggs. Not saying it will work every time and will depend upon if you feel the hen is worth the effort.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
Hi Pete,
Great that you've seperated her   :thumbsup:  - otherwise she'll teach the others to do it keep her away from them for at least a week after you get her to stop.
Some folks use the rubber/porcelain eggs (so she can't eat it) but that's only any good if you've got time to watch for when she lays & retrieve it staight away.
The trick we've used is to blow eggs & full them with mustard  :P - soon gets them to stop  ;)
Let us know how you get on  :fc:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:26 am »
Oops - sorry Tala  :-[  cross-posted
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
 :thumbsup: No probs Beewyched
Pigs are human tooo

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »
Mustard and very hot chilli paste eggs did the trick here. Should the issue come up again  I will also look into filling hollow eggs with plaster of paris or cement, although it might be easier to buy pot eggs.
Last year I was told to put my girls down as it had gone out of hand but I am glad that I did not do it, as over the winter they seemed to have forgotten that they can eat their eggs, fingers crossed. It seems to have started with a broken egg, after that the way to pecking at intact ones was short. Make sure that they have plenty of grit to eat and I also use cardboard to line the nesting boxes - softer padding of the floor and evidence of moist areas can easier be seen.
Good luck!  :chook: :&>

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »
Yukky hot things might give her a skitty bum. 

Are you feeding her cardboard (pellets)?  Try changing your food to something yummier like pure corn or mixed grain, add some black sunflower seeds to it or a bit of porridge oats, or an odd treat now and then of cous-cous with a knob of butter mixed in, spice up her life not her backside  :D .  She's only looking for something that tastes of something other than what she gets every day.  Give it a week and they usually forget about it. 

Or start making wringing motions with your hands, she'll get the message. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:06:48 pm »
Yukky hot things might give her a skitty bum. 

Mine did not eat enough of them to get a skitty bum, only enough to show them that this was not what they had expected  :roflanim:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:12:01 pm »
 :o  heavy handed with the poultry spice you say  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »

Are you feeding her cardboard (pellets)?  Try changing your food to something yummier like pure corn or mixed grain, add some black sunflower seeds to it or a bit of porridge oats, or an odd treat now and then of cous-cous with a knob of butter mixed in, spice up her life not her backside  :D   

Hi goose .... they get feed on a mix of 2 parts layers pellets and 1 part mixed grain ..... plus all the house-hold scraps .....

So, they have a varied diet ... not to mention .... nearly 1/2 an acre to roam in ....

Cheers

Pete

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »
 :wave:

Lemons !!!! ...... worked for us. They stay fresh for ages and when you return her to the flock you can pop a few in the nest boxes for a while ..... as a reminder.

If you've now isolated her ..... good in that she won't teach others the same trick but she may get quite bored if she is now confined and was used to free ranging and so even more inclined to peck her eggs. I suppose all you can do is make sure you look as often as possible and remove her egg as quickly as possible.

Oh .... are your nest boxes dark??? Think it helps if it's dark in there.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:48 pm »
pellets are very high in protein (I give half/half grain - check your bag though for weight a day pellets per bird, it's not good to give to many pellets), some folks say that lack of protein causes them to eat eggs. I think that might be the case for non-free range birds but not for ours that eat everything out there. I add a teaspoon of lime flour once a month to their feed, it seems to help especially the ducks that lay thinner shells.
Regarding poultry  spice, I found it very intersting that my brand contains powdered Tumeric! I may just add a bit of that and garlic powder (some folks recommend but I don't remember what for) to their feed as we have both in the kitchen anyway  ;) . Will my eggs and cakes taste of garlic after, I wonder? :roflanim:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:37 pm »

Lemons !!!! ...... worked for us. They stay fresh for ages and when you return her to the flock you can pop a few in the nest boxes for a while ..... as a reminder.

If you've now isolated her ..... good in that she won't teach others the same trick but she may get quite bored if she is now confined and was used to free ranging and so even more inclined to peck her eggs. I suppose all you can do is make sure you look as often as possible and remove her egg as quickly as possible.

Oh .... are your nest boxes dark??? Think it helps if it's dark in there.

That is simply superb, would never have occurred to me to try lemons! Yes, I did put curtains up to screen off the nesting boxes from the rest of the house. That probably helped, too.  :chook:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »
I think garlic is supposed to get rid of some worms.
It's recommended for sheep anyway.
Maybe I'm getting mixed up
J xxxxxx

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »
Yes Lemons!  Liked that, I'll remember that one, thanks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS