Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: landrover 200TDi damper (crankshaft pulley) bolt removal  (Read 11104 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
landrover 200TDi damper (crankshaft pulley) bolt removal
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »
To any landrover servicing experts out there, I've acquired an old landy and decided to do the timing belt as it appears to be at least 80K miles old.

I've got to the point where I have to undo the big bolt in the end of he crankshaft which is done up to a very high torque and threadlocked; I've made a tool to hold the crankshaft but my attempts to turn the bolt with my 1/2" socket set (and a long tube for a lever) have failed - have got to the point where I'm worried the 1/2" drive is going to give up with a bang if I try a longer lever.

any suggestions as to a good way of loosening? Or do I just have to buy a bigger socket set/ ring spanner? Or try a longer lever and wait for the bang?

Thx

marcus

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: landrover 200TDi damper (crankshaft pulley) bolt removal
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »
Marcus - I've notified my OH of yr enquiry but I expect you'll be deluged with responses from people on here :-)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 10:18:58 pm »
If you have locked the crank pulley nut with a scaffold bar to the floor take the wire off the fuel pump and turn the ignition a couple of clicks should undo it for you

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:03:38 am »
If you have locked the crank pulley nut with a scaffold bar to the floor take the wire off the fuel pump and turn the ignition a couple of clicks should undo it for you

alas; it's the socket/bar on the pulley nut that I'm worried about breaking.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:25 am »
Some can be pretty tricky to shift.

And as mentioned using the starter motor is a very good way of doing it. But I have broken a few 1/2 " breaker bars doing it and now have a 3/4 bar with a special extension that jams against the steering box.

The shock of the breaker bar hitting the chassis when you flick the starter is what does the job. I have tried using huge bars before which just resulted in making the clutch slip !!

Have not been beaten yet !!

Good luck.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:06:24 am »
Are you using an impact socket? Could be dangerous if not. You might have success with an impact driver, either pneumatic or electric
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
Using the starter motor is the best way I've found. Google it I'm sure you'll find a youtube vid showing it.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
I'm currently trying with a regular CrV 1/2" drive socket - don't think it's an impact socket. I suppose I could try the starter method, but in the interest of not breaking tools unnecessarily  I'll have to get something more robust first.

Looks like I'll have to buy more (expensive) tools;  :rant:  ruddy landrovers!  ;D

Thx

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:34 pm »
Once you have got the nut undone, then you have your next battle... If you are lucky the last person to change the belt will have lubricated the crank when fitting the pulley damper back on.

From new they where very hard to remove and I have even managed to break the Genuine Landrover puller doing one. That said I have not had a tricky one for years.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:28:52 am »
 ::)  oh joy! well, one battle at a time...  ;D

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:57 am »
Hi,I snapped my 1/2" drive snapon bar trying to undo mine.But I undone it easily with a 3/4 drive one.
I don't think anything was easy about the whole job from start to finish.Doing outside in the snow didn't help.

Graham.
Graham.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 12:04:04 am »
Update: got a ringspanner; used the starter motor as recommended - job done  :thumbsup:  (almost a month ago actually)

Alas, three of the bolts through the water pump/timingcover sheared off  (actually I think two were sheared previously and stuck back in rather than replaced), and as there's evidence of weeping on the timing back-plate/engine-block gasket, I'm currently trying to remove the backplate to replace the gasket and see if I can get the stumps of the bolts out - which involves removing all the sprockets (done) and trying not to mess up the timing  ::)  .

Ruddy landrovers - it's a good job this is a 'project' and not an everyday vehicle.  ;D

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:07 am »
Oh Dear ! What a pain, the 200tdi's are rather prone to those 3 bolts sticking and breaking off ! Don't worry too much about upsetting the timing, is very easy to set it back up again with no special tools needed ( apart from a fully functioning pair of eyes) . At least you have the luxury of being able to take your time and do the whole job properly.

Good luck.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 11:45:30 pm »
another update;

bolts drilled out, timing belt/sprockets re-installed and everything put back together and (so-far) not leaking except for the where the alloy pipes/hose joints of the water pump & stat housing are heavily corroded and they're still weeping despite cleaning them up.

but it's running  :thumbsup:

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 08:31:47 am »
Give them a scrub with wire wool and spray with ACF50, then coat with Vaseline to protect and lubricate (will stop pipes sticking on in future)
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS