Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: udder query  (Read 2327 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
udder query
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »
Hi, Alice had triplets yesterday.  All well and feeding.  On moving them into a bigger pen this afternoon I noticed that one side of her udder was huge with a large teat and the other side normal.  She didnt like me touching the large side of her udder.  When I watched the kids all fed from the softer side.  I expressed some milk which seemed to be clear.  What should I do.  Why do you think this has happened.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: udder query
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Are there any hot patches, could be the start of mastitis.
If it seems alright it could just be that they can't latch on and are all feeding from one side so it's gradually getting fuller and more difficult to latch on, catch 22.
Can you express enough out and move a couple to the big side. As long as it's not mastitis it should even up after a few days as they suck better and more evenly.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:01:56 pm »
Happened with ours and we had to express the milk off the full side then the kids started using it

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »
You will have to empty the full sid eout VERY SOON, otherwise you will get mastitis. I am just doing to my nanny, kidded with triplets on Friday, all using one side only...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:14:23 pm »
We where having the same problem with Cherry's triplets, when they where first born all 3 fed off the left side and we where taking the milk from the right hand side once they started to take more as long as we stopped her right side getting too hard the kids fed from it
Graham

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:02:49 am »
Get stripping asap before it turns into a major problem,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS