Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Giving grass to goats  (Read 2656 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Giving grass to goats
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:24 am »
My lot do get out but high tail it back in doors when its wet and won't even cross the threshold if its raining. I have read (whilst researching cheeses) that some farms zero graze their goats to avoid worm problem / need to worm etc.  I have a few overgrown areas I can strim ie 3-600mm high but also have some shorter areas to cut back as well. Normally for horses  I would not countenance feeding cut grass but what's best for goats as a supplement for the rainy indoor days? Should it be really fresh or wilted?

thx
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Giving grass to goats
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
We scythe (using the metal blade on the strimmer) a lot of tall grass for the goats, and once they are used to it they get it wet or dry, as fresh as possible. WE usually do three to four  large (sugar beet shred) sacks full and one sack does two large hayracks full. They normally get two portions per day - but I start them off on only a little in April and work up to a full hayrack over a couple of weeks. The grass is eaten within 10 minutes, then we put some hay back in.

I also cut branches whenever time allows, and also feed freshly cut comfrey.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:08 am »
I have three zero-grazed goats and I hand cut a rack of grass/nettles/thistles/docks etc every morning for immediate use.  They have already had concentrates and access to hay for an hour, then allowed cut grass and in the afternoon I cut branches when I can.  I also start with small amounts and gradually increase to avoid digestive upsets.  Feeding this way definitely increases milk production when compared with hay alone.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:55:42 am »
Yes I've noticed they milk more when they have been out all day than in!
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:21 pm »
Yes I've noticed they milk more when they have been out all day than in!

Definitely! same here.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:11:03 pm »
My girl's yield has increased since I've introduced dried grass into her diet.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:05:20 am »
with ours If they are out all day the milk drops rapidly if they go out for a couple of hours  and then come in for the rest of the day it goes up
we are in Midge heaven though and the goats hate being out among the midge
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS