Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What wormer to use??  (Read 14574 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
What wormer to use??
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:01 am »
Just been reading about workers and someone uses Eprinex cattle wormer pour on.. They say double the dose for goats and there's no withdrawal for milk.. They have done this for 8 yrs..

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: What wormer to use??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:22:23 am »
Eprinex isn't licensed for use on goats, so in order to get it you'll either have to get it from your friend, or persuade your vet that you can use it. I do know people who have used it for mange treatment in goats and had no ill effects. Am tempted to try it myself on our 2 mange sufferers.

Beth

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:15:47 pm »
I've used it for my angoras as they're prone to lice.

The person I got the goats from gave me the remains of their supply as they were giving up livestock.  They'd always used it with no problems.
I've used the same dose 1ml/10kg sort of.
My Angora goats are alot skinnier than they look in full fleece and I don't have a means of weighing them so I've used 5ml, I'm certain 'Old Granny' is not 50kgs.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
If you are planning to use it for worms it might be worth getting a poo sample analysed first, rather than worm unnecessarily.  My goats are yard-kept and I cut and carry all fodder, samples have shown they haven't needed worming for 2 years - but I wouldn't just guess their requirements.

Getting non-goat-licensed products is really impossible here unless you know someone with other animals.  I have to produce holding number, flock details etc and a vet prescription for everything.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 06:59:57 pm »
Can buy it on tinternet :innocent:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:44:51 pm »
Yes you can. And most retailers insist on knowing your CPH number, cattle herd number, what type of cows you own, their registered name and how much they weigh....  Gonna make all that up? If you find a retailer who isn't asking for that, I'd be a bit worried about buying from them....

But if you're happy buying from unscrupulous Internet cowboys...

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:49:39 pm »
I have got Eprinex from my vet previously, on his recommendation to use on heel mange. Worked a treat. Also good for lice. I wouldn't use it for worming, much better to drench or inject knowing the weight of the animal. Most sheep wormers need a higher dose for goats, usually 1.5 to 2 times sheep dose. I would get a worm sample done first - did you get one done when she arrived? If she is then on worm free ground no way she can pick up any, so no need to worm...

Withdrawal times apply to HUMAN consumption, so in most cases it is fine to let the kids continue to suckle.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:29 pm »
Where there's a will there's a way....... As thread title question?? Which one to use ? and no suggestions ?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »
We use a rotation of wormers as books and BGS state should rotate white wormers (panacur), with yellow (levamisole) and ivermectin based but dont use panacur any more though as have heard parasites are resistant to it.  Have used ivermectin based ones such as eprinex, currently using paramectin - yes use double cattle dose for goats.  We dont have a weigh scales so we use a heart girth measure to estimate the weight using a table in the back of the Matthews goat veterinary book.  Last year used yellow wormer levamisole - combinex (does fluke too so useful last year) - so could rotate wormers - dosage was 1 1/2 that of sheep as goats get problems with this one if overdosed.

We get ours form the local agric merchants - I have never told them it is for goats and they have never asked - just told them the holding number.

Not sure about milk withdrawal periods as dont milk the goats sorry.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »
Yes Carl, but your opening comment didn't ask about which wormer to use, despite your thread title. I simply replied to your comment.

Where there's a will, yes, there is a way- you can get eprinex though your vet.

You don't mention what her previous owner used to worm with, this is important, because resistance can develop. For example if the previous owner used Invermectin, I would suggest trying a different type, maybe panacur or another white wormer.

Interestly, Carl, I note when you google goat wormer uk, I found the person you mention using eprinex.

Beth

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:41 am »
I've used panacur and the eprinex pour-on.
Panacur I got from the agri suppliers cos the man there knew it had been licensed for goats before but the labelling had changed.

A recent post worming with panacur FEC showed a clear sample so the vet advised continuing to use that.  As I have a low (but rising) stocking rate.
Also when I bring in new animals she advised keeping them seperated while dosing with and ivermectin and levamisole wormer to make sure I'm not bringing in any resistant worms.
Most of my land is rented out for my neighbours sheep and doesn't get a rest so I may have problems when I take those fields back.

Definately worth getting FEC done and taking advise fom your vet.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:25:57 am »
In some areas, Panacur does work.    Mostly it doesn't and therefore a waste of money.   It doesn't kill haemonchus worm which is one of the biggest dangers to goats.
Use Ivermectin based wormer generally..........it is the safest way, but ask your Vet which other one to use to supplement.   Each area has different requirements.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Don't think you have much livestock Carl (?) and so it's unlikely you will need to worm. 

Speak to your vet on the phone so it's free or get a poo sample done - it doesn't cost that much and wormer can be expensive anyway.  We sampled all our livestock recently and was all clear.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:27 pm »
Are they in quite a confined area though? I'd get a sample sent to be sure.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

muddywheeler

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:46:15 am »
Hi new to this site so hello to all, I was looking up about Eprinex as I have a very poorly goat, she was bought in about 6 mths ago and I did all the usual worming etc, but all of a sudden she became very wobbly on her feet, called the vet, in end conclusion was worms.
I have used white wormers and so did previous owner so it seems worms have become resistant, we treat all the goats with Dectomax 1cc/30kg and again at 6wks, poorly one, she is coming on but slowly.

Back to Eprinex I was bothered about Dectomax's 63 day withdrawal and so vet advised Eprinex, vet says it will be ok but I've read on net it has no effect on worms in goats! anyone with a comment?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS