Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using a crossbreed ram this coming season  (Read 2437 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Using a crossbreed ram this coming season
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:49 am »
I'm thinking off using my what I call Heinz 57 pet ram this coming year I had 2 nice ewe lambs I kept from last year and I can't use there dad on them. As all my sheep live together I would need to get my welsh ram castrated otherwise this fella wouldn't stand much chance. But am I being stupid using a ram that I don't know works instead of a ram I know gives twins & triplets alot. Should I just sell the 2 ewe lambs and buy 2 more an still use same ram? The cross lamb looks like dad was a texel/lleyn tup out off a mule ewe purely guessing though!

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: Using a crossbreed ram this coming season
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:36:42 am »
Hi, can understand some of your fears, however inbreeding is not all bad it can bring out the genes that will continue to produce twins etc and to be honest for one season should not prove untoward.

however there sre many more qualified persons on this forum who will have a better idea than I, although we did not inbreed directly as a child on our station we did use once removed relations ie cousins and uncles so to speak on the ewe.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:25 am »
I would be more inclined to sell or put the crossbred lamb in the freezer and either see if you can borrow a pure bred Tup or buy one of this years male lambs that was early born. would be old enough come tupping time to do the job.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:22:16 pm »
I don't like putting a ram back to his daughters - thats the kind of thinking that got the dog breeding world in so much trouble (oh yes, we can inbreed, but only if we test for genetic conditions, whilst conveniently ignoring that this is the best way to discover new ones)...

Since he ins't a purebred, It wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but Id try and get a different one for this tupping, which can be a pure or a crossbred of your choosing - I like a suftex.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:05:07 pm »
He is a year old this year and He is as soft as anything! He is bigger than my other sheep I'm not massively bothered about how great the lambs turn out cause the end up in my freezer....I think I might give him a chance get the old boy castrated give the cross ram from sept/nov then get a sweeper? Then when lambing comes I know if he works or not jaha!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:59 am »
I'm not massively bothered about how great the lambs turn out
Just as well.

It seems bizarre to be talking about castrating a purebred ram to use a Bitzer  ???   If you like Bitzer so much why not castrate him, keep him as a ram companion, and use the welsh ram?

On your scale, linebreeding one generation and not keeping the offspring for further breeding is probably not a problem. 

Having said all of which, we buy purebred, often pedigree and very occasionally a controlled mix of two breeds (eg 1/8th Beltex, 7/8th Texel) tups.  I've fancied using a Beltex x Charollais but BH says it's best to keep the tups purebred.   However, every year get a handful of unintended early lambs where an uncastrated tup lamb had managed to get busy before we got him away.  Our ewes are mixes of several breeds, so the tup lambs will be 50% Texel or Charollais and 50% allsorts.  Their unplanned offspring are always absolutely fine and sell just the same as their 'better bred' peers. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS