Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing is over...  (Read 3386 times)

Chris63red

• Joined Dec 2011
Lambing is over...
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:16 pm »
What a relief lambing is over for us, 6 ewe lambs & 3 ram lambs later from 5 ewes & all unassisted not bad going for our first time.
Our last ewe lambed last night twins both ram lambs !
She had kept us waiting for two or three nights but delivered both in the evening with no problems phew.

Good luck to everyone else with lambing  :fc:

Chris

Feel free to check out my blog & please leave a comment !

http://ystwythsmallholders.blogspot.co.uk/

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Lambing is over...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:29 pm »
Good one - enjoy your kip
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »
Hey Chris63 - isn't it a great feeling?  :excited: :excited: :excited: 

We are in the same situation so can empathise +++ - just got the last one into the nursery pen now. All lambed outside unassisted including two first timers with twins. Only one slightly weak lamb with knuckled over back feet but he is now standing square and sucking well.

We had 11 lambs on the scan and 11 lambs came out. 6 boys, 5 girls and all mums doing well.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:44 am »
 :wave:

Glad your's went well!

We got up this morning to see all our three balwen with a lamb each!  We've had two ram and a ewe lamb.  No assistance needed (except to get our little ewe out of a fenced in tree.. no idea how she got in there!)

Few months now till our two Torddu BFWM's lamb, as they arrived in January.

Hope everyone else's lambing goes as smoothly!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:56:59 am »
congrats - that is just what we ar hoping for(no intervention). Just at the start here and only 1/14 popped so far.  Really torrential and windy here at the moment so I hope they cross their legs this morning!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 09:41:47 am »
Congratulations. We just have one ewe left to go.
Unfortunately I have to tell you that the worrying isn't over! Once they've found their legs and are charging about its a constant worry about them falling off things, getting stuck behind gates, losing their mothers.......
Mischief and lambs go together.
Great fun though
J xxxxxx

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:48:39 am »
Yes - and lovely to watch as they find their feet, gain confidence and make friends with the other lambs  :love: :love:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:18 am »
Great feeling isn't it, I've also finished and the ewes seemed to hold on for ages this year - the first came 5 days after the due date and the others started 4 days after that, the last hung on and on, but has at last produced!  ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Chris63red

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 01:18:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies - yes I guess the work starts here been mucking the pens out today, great feeling  I agree, especially seeing all these bundles of fun bouncing around the yard & into everything  ;D .
Pouring with rain here & very windy what a change in the weather yet again, temperature is also up..."or is it just the mucking out" !
We have put the ewes & lambs that is apart from the last ewe & twins all together now in a stable with the option of venturing out if they wish on to an enclosed yard.
I suppose I will have to think about when to take them all back up to the land its quite high up where the land is so will be very exposed & susceptible to wild weather up in the mountains so will have to time it right, when do you think about putting ewes & lambs out if they have been inside?

My thought was to keep here for a couple of weeks then heptavac before putting out ?

I have been worming, feet trimming with all the ewes a few days following them lambing, so will have to get up there to do the same with the ram & wether & rest of the flock. The ram has been on loan but we do have the option of buying at a good price I think, we will have to put him to only half of the flock next year so weighing up our options but he is obviously 100% working order :thumbsup: .

Very pleased with the Torddu & all have been great mothers so far maybe this is true of all mountain breeds for example higher percentage as in no assistance or have I just been very lucky  :relief:

Chris

Feel free to check out my blog & please leave a comment !

http://ystwythsmallholders.blogspot.co.uk/

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 04:34:28 pm »
It's great to hear how well everybody is doing  :thumbsup: there seem plenty of successes around the place with lambs skipping around fields. At long last it looks like spring may be sprung  :fc:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »
Two of ours have gone downhill a bit  :-\  but the rest are lovely to watch :excited:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS