Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First endurance pleasure ride done :)  (Read 2812 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
First endurance pleasure ride done :)
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »
Me and Jimmy went to Govilon near Abergavenny on sunday and did our first 12km pleasure ride. It was pretty steep in places and we went well above the snow line on several occasions. Jim just put his head down and got stuck into the hills. I had a brilliant time and I think Jim enjoyed himself too. I'm definitely planning to do some more this year.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: First endurance pleasure ride done :)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:16:51 pm »
One of the horses I bred ( Sabrina's Brother ) went on to do endurance and loved it. I think he did 100 miles for his gold award. If it had not been for having a back problen i would have like to given this sport a go, glad to hear you enjoyed the experience.  :thumbsup:

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »
well done :) i hope  to try my hand at  endurance someday when i get my own cuddy :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
I fancied doing it with Smokey but would need a buddy to start with as we're both such wusses  ::)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:01 pm »
The first Fun Ride I ever did was with my hinny Sarah-lee.Wasn't warned about the steep drop down an embankment.I started down and her saddle slowly began to undress itself over her neck :o  Luckily she just positioned herself sideways along the slope and  told me in no uncertain terms to get off and sort it out!...next time I put breeching on her ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »
Great news!!! Well done, look forward to hearing more exploits!! :thumbsup: :trophy:

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »
Love the photos, yep familiar feeling at the start of a ride before they settle down and they think it's a race and they might be left behind!!! He looks like he is on a mission and no one is going to deflect him! Brilliant!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
I fancied doing it with Smokey but would need a buddy to start with as we're both such wusses  ::)
Ohh, I wish we were closer !

Well done Brijjy - another envious wuss here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:19:06 am »

The ride organisers will buddy you up with someone more experienced who knows you won't want to bomb round if you ask when joining/entering the ride....:-)))))

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:13:51 am »
If you get in touch with your local endurance group, they will have a buddy system. My local(ish) group is Offas Dyke and I'm buddies with another rider who has a Fell X Arab mare that she rides. I was happy taking Jimmy round on my own as he is a very steady boy. When he does like to have a bomb off, I know I can pull him back again.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:05:13 pm »
Love the photos and glad you both enjoyed the ride :thumbsup:
I just went out today with my 7 year old daughter and her trusty 10.2 shetland cross ( who has had, pretty much, the winter off) for a 3 mile pleasure ride with our local PC. Great, great fun!!! :excited: :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS