Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Indoor plant - a lily of some sort - anybody know?  (Read 4313 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Indoor plant - a lily of some sort - anybody know?
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:17:27 am »
I have loads of these - they are very pretty and are bulbs, They keep multiplying but just look like a whole lot of leaves till the flowers come out in spring. What are they?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Indoor plant - a lily of some sort - anybody know?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:38:31 am »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:24 am »
Strelitzia?

Funnily that was the name that jumped into my mouth when I saw the pics, although I've not consciously ever seen one  :thinking:
Pretty flowers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:45:01 am »
No it's not the Bird of Paradise.  Much smaller and slighter than that.  Try again folks :thinking:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:14:13 pm »
It looks like a Hesperantha. You occasionally see them in sheltered gardens in the south-west, but I think they can be grown indoors as well. I think they come from South Africa.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »
Nope, not that either - doesn't have orange flowers, in fact it has bracts rather than flowers.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:53 pm »
Not sure of the scale but it looks like a type of lilly to me, Heloconia (spelling maybe wrong) or could it be just a hybred plant.....?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
It's a bulb and it is a type of lily, I'm pretty sure of that and I said it in the heading.  The flower hangs down when open and it is very thin.   At the moment I have 8 of them I think.  They multiply like daffodil and crocus bulbs - bulblets grow from the side. and if not planted out separately they don't flower.  The flower spike is bright pink till it gets to about  foot long then it opens and a few flowers come out and hang down, the flowers are two tone green and pink.

If I take one up for you could your brother work out what it is if you send him one of the flowers?  It;'s really annoying me not knowing what it is.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »
I can try to send him a photo but he is having internet problems just now, you could always drop the flower through the letter box for me to post on but he is even more a loner than RUSTY....he would hate me giving anyone his address, I tell him to join this forum loads of times, he would love some of the debates and the funny thing is he often says the same things as lots of other people on here...anyway, hope you do not get sleepless nights over not knowing what it is, I had that tree that turned out to be a sort of plum cherry...no fruit much on that last year!!!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:00:22 pm »
I'd got one of those!  No idea what it is - although mine usually"flowers" just after Christmas.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 11:07:09 am »
Ok - you've all failed that test!  :roflanim:

I hjave too - I'm beginning to think it isn't a lily after all after scanning through all of these images - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lilies+images&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BIlmUbbfJYbYOYvhgLAE&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

So I'm off down to Tillycoultry with a pot to see what the garden centre experts make of it.
And I'm not daft enough to lose sleep over it but it has bugged me for years not knowing what it is.  I don't even remember who gave me the first one, but boy is it prolific!  :excited:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
Beautiful, a very elegant and unusual plant!! :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:56 pm »
It's apparently prolific in Florida - grows like a weed my friend said. :roflanim:  My sister asked me if they would be OK outside here - don't think so somehow!  :roflanim:  But since I have so many of them I think I'll give it a go. :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS