Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Will her waterbag pass if she's lying down?  (Read 4390 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Will her waterbag pass if she's lying down?
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
Hoping someone is online and knowledgable at this time of night. I have a ewe who has had Ketosis. Largely recovered in appetite and general condition but, as she was off her legs for so long, she's now finding it hard to get up and I believe labour is starting as she's attempting to do so and is grinding her teeth with discomfort. I don't know if labour can successfully begin if she's laid down however. I've only ever seen our ewes wandering about in their appointed corner (she's in her own pen already) with the waterbag appearing and THEN they'll lay down to push for the lamb. What happens in this sort of situation? Just a teensy bit concerned...

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Will her waterbag pass if she's lying down?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
Hi Labour can happen with them lying down, Just dont let her rear end be in a corner and waterbag etc wil pass and she will pass lambs if it was me i would be waitng to assist if you think it requires it.Hope this helps

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:09 pm »
Evening!  She should lamb ok lying down, but if she's been having trouble getting up then she may well push out the lamb and be unable to get round to clear its mouth and nose. If your sure she's lambing then I'd hang around so I could move in nd clear its airways and pop it under her nose. I've seen many sheep lose there second lamb because there so busy cleaning the first they slip the second out in the sack and it drowns  :(.
Good luck  :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »
Thanks Ally, just going back now. Ta very much. Will wake up OH if I reallly need him  :) I just broke away for a few mins to pick brains  ;D . Been rubbing Darcie's tummy which seems to help whilst she has her head on my lap. Bless her. Will report back in due course.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:38:01 am »
She's delivered a boy and a girl and is very, very tired. Had to intervene as she was flagging severely on the first one which I thought was stillborn at first. Very tight to get her out but I have small hands  ;D  Second was much easier. Have been sat with them for a while as worried if she tried to get up, which she did briefly at the beginning, that she may fall on her twins. She's too tired to try tho' bless her but is being very attentive with licky and her deep baas. They are two of the noisiest lambs I've ever heard  ::) , specially the girl. Tricky to get at Darcie's teats with her laid down. Little girl has managed to suss a way but boy can't grasp it  ???  so they've had some of the powdered colostrum.
 :fc:  Darcie will be up on her feet really soon.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:19:19 am »
That's great - well done Darcie hope you get you strength back soon
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:51:24 am »
That's good news. Hope she's back on her feet soon.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:13 am »
Hope Darcie is dancing soon  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:54:26 am »
Marvellous.   :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:08 am »
Great news!! Not sure about Darcy being tired ......you must be too -looking at the 3am text you sent me the night before last!!

Did try to reply to this post last night, but connection not good.  A lot of my goats lie down for the whole process.  I do pull them away from the corner  of the shed,where invariably they always seem to be lay when kidding!!!  Otherwise lying down is not a problem.

On the other hand, we have those who stand eating their hay whilst kidding,and ignore the kids completely,and you know who has to deal with them!!

Hope Darcie and lambs are doing ok.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:15 am »
Glad to hear Darcie lambed okay  :thumbsup: , hope the lambs find a way of getting her milk so you can have a rest!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »
Well done Darcie :thumbsup: .  I hope she recovers soon :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:11:15 pm »
Darcie's still grinding her teeth so still hurting from her lambing efforts. Is there anything I may have handy I could give her for pain relief?

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
I haven't had to use it, but you can give aspirin.  Just did a web check asking about sheep and aspirin -

"Simply dissolve one or two aspirin in water to which you may add some molasses to make it more palatable. Use just enough liquid to fill one large syringe. Use a large syringe (without the needle attached of course) if you don't have a proper drenching tube, and squirt the solution down the sheep's throat. Some people say you can use up to 10 aspirins in one dose but I haven't done this. If troubles persist it is advisable to call in the vet. "
[/size][/color]
[/size]Good luck[/color]

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:04:13 pm »
Thanks guys. Resorted to getting some injectable stuff from the vets who also said willow bark or aspirin is a good alternative in an emergency. Basically what I came home with was an injectable version of the same. Have bought some black treacle/molasses for future use with the aspirin drench. Thanks Calvadnack for that. Darcie is standing much more frequently now but still wobbly. She's a brave wee soul. Cursed with REALLY demanding lambs though  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS