Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What quantity of creep to feed newly weaned orphan lambs?.  (Read 4955 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
What quantity of creep to feed newly weaned orphan lambs?.
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
Hi all

I have searched the archives of the forum to try to find the answer, but with no luck. 

I have 9 orphan lambs who are now nearly 10 weeks old and were weaned at 8 weeks.

I have been putting them out in a grassy paddock during the last week, but have, just today taken the plunge and committed to leaving them out 24hours per day.  (especially as its raining today, so can't take them back in the barn while they are wet).

They are happily eating lots of creep mixed with sheep course mix, but I have been trying to find out exactly how much I should be feeding each lamb?. 

This spring has been so cold, even though we have no snow, the grass does'nt seem to be growing much, so I am reluctant to slow down on the creep feeding untill the grass gets going, but I don't want to make them fat either.

Can anyone enlighten me on an average amount I should be feeding them.  I have been giving them 1 large scoop each in the morning and again in the evening.  (haven't weighed the scoop, will do that tomorrow  :-[ ).

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: What quantity of creep to feed newly weaned orphan lambs?.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:24:11 pm »
Assuming you we're feeding Lamlac, it says on side of bag to feed approx 250g each before weaning off milk. I would say feed this in 2 feeds until 12-16 weeks but depends on state of grass and condition of lambs. Obviously if doing too well I'd cut back. Also depends on breed.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: What quantity of creep to feed newly weaned orphan lambs?.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »
I go through a 25kg bag of creep in 5 days exactly, feeding 12 lambs between 7 and 10 weeks old. All weaned at 6 weeks. Sooo 5kg/day divided by 12 is just over 400g each so just under 1lb creep per day. I'm mixing it with sugarbeet too to bulk it out and add a bit of fibre as 7 of mine are out on what is now limited grass paddock and 5 are still in. All have ad-lib hay too. Fed twice a day, they are looking well but I think given the shortage of grass might take 3-4 weeks longer to finish than expected, which is no skin off my back (as long as they are gone by November when the livestock come in off the fields for winter).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:28:45 pm by twizzel »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS