Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: quail eggs not pipping-update with pics!  (Read 6047 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
quail eggs not pipping-update with pics!
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:02 am »
Hi everyone, I have a batch of quail eggs in the inncy, first ever experience of poultry. I have 8 eggs in there, 6 of which were definately developed when candled at 10 days and they were visibly moving round etc. The other two i couldnt get a clear enough read on them to be sure but i think they are not viable.

They are due to hatch today but i havent heard a thing from them, I was expecting to see some movement of the eggs or even some pipping yesterday but there is nothing and the eggs are completely still. I'm thinking that I propably should have seen some movement by now? I am afraid to candle them to check as 1) I am maybe being too impatient, 2) I dont want to open the inncy at this stage unless absolutely nessesary and 3) I really dont want to find out the chicks have died in shell and I've lost my whole hatch.

I'm so anxious!

6/8 eggs hatched yesterday, all fine except one which has a gammy foot. Seems I was just being impatient ;)

This is my three blondies watching the eggs hatch:
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/Clarebelle/Quail008_zpsada3a1fd.jpg

And this is the chicks waiting patiently for me to open the lid so they can escape  ::)
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q681/Clarebelle/Quail015_zpsad4947de.jpg

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:13:58 am by Clarebelle »

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: quail eggs not pipping
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:17 am »
nature is a funny thing ,, just cause there due today dont mean they will hatch today ,, always give it a few more days

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:27:35 am »
very hard give it time and then say its onley farming you will get youre head round it ether way have a nice day.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:52:29 am »
Don't know about quails but my ducks went 5 days after their due date - I think my incy wasn't quite up to temperature when I put them in.  So leave them a few days yet.  It is heartbreaking if you switch off too soon and discover 'almost there' chick bodies - I've done that only once!!!!  And let us know what happens. :fc:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:59:52 pm »
after checking the inncy every hour all day just noticed that one of the eggs has a large crack along the top which is definately a new development so it looks like I was just overreacting! I can hardly contain myself now though, my husband has had to drag me away from staring at the inncy!  :excited:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:19 pm »
 :fc:  We found that our quail hatched very quickly once started ..... don't blink.

You can spray with warm water if you think things are slow and your humidity might be low. Or pop in a moist, clean piece of dish cloth or similar.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:36:05 am »
 :thumbsup:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: quail eggs not pipping-update with pics!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
Oh and big thank you to Pasture Farm who helped me get started with this venture and put up with my questions!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
What a super little incubator! :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 08:42:10 pm »
All those little chick faces looking out  :love: And such cute blondes waiting patiently  :D

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:25:31 pm »
They always make me think of pop corn. One minute they are just an egg and then the next there is a quail chick. They just seem to pop out! :excited:

Looking forward to hatching some later in the year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS