Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent twin  (Read 4834 times)

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
Urgent twin
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »
One of my Shetlands lambed twins outside about 1 hour ago, I've brought them in as 1 twin isn't up yet and still is wet, do I warm him/ her by fire and give him some powdered colostrum ? Or leave with mum and watch ? Seems weak and struggling a bit but is managing to hold head up and give little bleets. Other twin on feet and looking for teat.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Re: Urgent twin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »
What is the ewe doing? licking them both? Regarding colostrum if you are able to milk the ewe and stomach tube that would be better than powdered.
Sheep

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:10 pm »
If you can I would pen both with mum and let her pick them dry - I find my shetands very attentive mothers - they one not up is probably just born and needs a wee bit of time to get up. I would then check in an hour for them feeding, full bellies or if asleep a big stretch when I wake them up.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:58 pm »
Ewe is more attentive to twin who is up licking other occasionally. Can milk ewe but not able to tube, as I've never been shown, got bottles though ?! Seems as though wee one is weak but maybe not long born, when do they normally get up and drink, rough time scale? All penned in shed together now x

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »
With Shetties I would expect them to be up an sucking in an hour max, normally within 20 mins.
Stomach tubing is easy enough if you go gently. Measure the tube on the outside of the lamb so you know what length to use to reach from mouth to belly, very gently slide it down the throat, any resistance and stop, withdraw and try again. If you get the wrong hole lambie will cough and splutter unless unconscious but you shouldn't be tubing an unconscious lamb anyhoo. I use a 50ml syringe with the plunger removed as a funnel to pour colostrum into as it fits a treat into the tube and has graduations on it so's you can see how much you are giving :thumbsup:

Some people say to dip the end of the tube in milk before tubing, but I don't as I worry about it getting inhaled if I get the wrong hole.

Good luck, I reckon you will be fine with them now you have em penned ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:00 pm »
Quick update, managed to latch seeker twin on while holding him up, sooked like mad, managed to stand for a wee while after drinking then sat down. Have come in to warm up, will go back out in twenty mins and take it from there !
Will look and see think I have a stomach tube somewhere, but hoping not to need it !!x

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:11:19 pm »
Have they both suckled? Sounds like youve done a good job.
Sheep

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:12:24 pm »
Try and relax and leave the ewe alone.....you can do a lot more harm than good! Have a nice long cuppa and leave them a while.....Shetlands are incredibly resiliant  :)   
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 11:16:46 pm »
Just been out to check, both up on their feet phew !!!
Both bleeting and chatting to Mum and she's giving both attention. Weakest now very. Determined saw it drink twice, stronger of the two I've not seen drink but have seen headed in the right direction !!
Off to get a couple of hours sleep, check them again at 1 ish, thanks all xu

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:40:41 am »
morning ! thanks for all the help last night ........not a I'm one to panic !! lol !
All is well with my twin EWE lambs yipeee !
Will try to get good pics later x

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:58:48 am »
 :excited: :excited:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:57 am »
That's really good - looking forward to seeing the pictures  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:16 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 08:28:05 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Delighted for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS