Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaker twin lamb  (Read 3585 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Weaker twin lamb
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:29 am »
Good morning.
Woke up to another set of twins  ( Hebrideans)
They lamb outdoors but this was in the sheep shelter.
One lamb is quite active but the other seems quite weak. I've stomach fed it colostrum and now I'm just waiting. Mum is still with them both, but at one point she took off with the other lamb and left it and I had to bring them back.
They are not penned up yet.
Questions please - if no improvement I'm thinking my next move is to pen them up?
Should I feed more colostrum soon or will it be milk, and how long between feeds?
If she does abandon it and we have to bottle feed it ( this is a daft question maybe but never done it before, sorry) - do we just leave the lamb living outdoors with the flock but no mother, and bottle feed it through out the day? Or do we bring it in on its own?
People talk about fostering on, but that doesn't always work.
Thanks,
Joanne xxxxxxxx

P.s. I meant to ask as well please - my sheep book suggests a glucose solution. I don't have any. What else could I use?
And we have no heat lamp. If required, will a box and a hot water bottle do? Xxxxx

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:00:42 am by JMB »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Weaker twin lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:03:27 am »
Yes definitely pen them up and supervise to see if little one drinks too. I would leave them penned for a few days to make sure that both lambs have bonded properly with mum.

if she doesn't let it suckle you may have to either hold her or if she is too feisty tie her up.

I would also tube fed the lamb agian, just to give it more of a chance. Still colostrum probably if it less than 24 hours old.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
Thank you Anke xxxxx

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:09:33 am »
I would pen them up ASAP to get some bonding happening. Put a box on it's side in the pen with a hot water bottle wrapped well in a towel then straw on top. Mum can then see the lamb and bonding more likely to happen. First thing I would do however is get lamb latched on to ewe's teat and keep there until suckling is obvious. Failing that milk the ewe and bottle feed that to your lamb. When it's poo smells of mum she will accept it more readily. Colostrum will only do it's stuff within the first 24hours but mostly within the first few. If you're in any doubt the lamb hasn't had enough then feed it some powdered colostrum again. Mum may still have some for you to milk off which is the best the lamb can get. You'll know it's colostrum. It will be much thicker than milk and very yellow in colour.
Good luck  :fc:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »
Depends how weak it is - if it cant keep up/suckle, id orphan it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:58:18 pm »
Pen and put the lamb in a jacket - wipe it in the birth fluids/afterbirth first, if you still have them around.  Take its temperature - if it's low tube it first then warm it - never warm before feeding.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:12:55 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
Our farmer friend next door came round and unblocked one of her teats, but he still wouldn't suckle.
We took him in and stomach fed him again but he's still wobbly.
Luckily another friend (allyb on TAS) made the decision for us and offered to hand rear him for us!
So he's gone to a better home for some proper TLC
When times  are sad and hard, people can be unbelievably helpful and lovely

J xxxxxxx

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »
It's good to have your faith in people renewed. A good outcome. Hope he fares well.

allyb

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:13:10 pm »
Any time Jo  :)  And hopefully he ll be back with you soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS