Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb with deformed feet  (Read 6914 times)

keenamateur

• Joined Apr 2013
lamb with deformed feet
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:43:25 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has a bit of advice. I had a lamb born this afternoon who is a big twin, appeared well licked and warm but unable to stand due to what appears to be a fixed flexion deformity at the fetlocks. I've brought it + sibling +Mum indoors and tube fed it some colostrum. Has anyone come across this before? Do you think there's any chance of it resolving or anything I or a vet could do to help or would it be kinder to euthanise it at this point? Any advice gratefully received.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: lamb with deformed feet
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
They may strengthen in a day or so but I think you can splint them to help until nature does its thing.  I'm sure there is a post somewhere about this but I have known people use a piece of drainpipe on foals to straighten legs.

Speak to vet Monday but if you have something you can splint it with in meantime I'd try. Hope it works if otherwise healthy  :fc:

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »
i know in foals the tendons normally soften after a couple days if not end up needing and op so would think a lambs tendons would do a similar thing.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:09 am »
We splinted one of ours this year. The vet supplied us with special lamb splints which fitted perfectly and we used vet wrap. Legs straightened really well after a couple if days. The outcome for the little ewe lamb wasn't a happy one but that was a different issue to her splints. I would just make sure it gets enough colostrum and milk and is happy with the splints on. Best of luck with your lamb  :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:38 am »
I think it can happen when they're big and have been quite squashed up inside.

As others have said, they often sort out in a few days, I'd be inclined to keep him in with his twin and mum, and see if nature does the job first, before intervening too much.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »
We get a few each year.  They almost always sort themselves out.  By far the best medicine is  :sunshine: sunshine - that's in rather short supply in these parts at the mo  :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »
I had one last year, was told be the vet to let him out into the field - running round was the best medicine. I didn't splint it, just massaged a bit for a few days. He was ok within a couple of days. (But he could stand, he would hobble round on his knuckles, so I knew he was feeding ok).

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:29:19 am »
Thanks for this TASers.

We have had a lamb born this morning with both back paws knuckled under so it's very reassuring to be able to come onto the forum and look up old posts to see what advice has been given before without having to bother people with a new enquiry.

Problem is - he's less fleet of foot than his bigger brother (who presumably was taking up all the space in utero too - hence the little one being a bit "curled under") - who was shoving him out of the way of the milk bar. Mum seems less interested in him too.

We've penned them up together in a small pen and weeny is getting a look-in now. I know he's had a first feed so hopefully as he poos and starts to smell of Mum's milk she'll take to him more.

It's her first time too so she's done a great job  :bouquet: :love:

I'm just relieved that I can let nature take its course for a bit while we get feeding etc established.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 12:13:35 pm »
My vet advised splinting but, most important, to take off the splints as often as possible and gently massage and stretch the tendons.  Warm (massage), stretch and hold for 10 seconds, release and massage again.  Then back on with the splints. :fc: Best of luck with him.  Trouble is they get very tame....

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
Bramblecot's solution is what we did with a goat kid a few years ago - he was a big pygmy - splinter but plenty of physio - he was very bad but came straight in 2 weeks - good luck with your lamb
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS