Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting willow plugs  (Read 8457 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Planting willow plugs
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 10:39:52 pm »
Keeps the young growth out of the reach of rabbits
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 06:49:28 am »
Also - I don't have to bend down to coppice it  ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:04 am »
Good reasons, like your thinking!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »
we just bought the sticks and stuck them in, a week later they all have shoots on them . we planted a few into tubs ready to plant down the river when the repair work from the flood gets done and I have just been out and checked them to find they already have long roots on them
Graham

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
Pollarding was used to produce firewood and straight branches, keeping the new growth out of reach from the cattle which grazed the area below the trees.  This is a historic method of forestry used in Epping Forest near London.  The peasants (can I say that :o :o ) were allowed to collect the branches for firewood but not allowed to cut down the ancient hornbeam trees.  History lesson over ;) .  Amazing what you can remember from schooldays.
We are pollarding all our willows; it makes brilliant food for the sheep in autumn and early spring.  And willow branches in the lambing pens keeps mum happy :yum:

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »
If we're taking cuttings from existing willow trees, is it better to cut and plant an older 'brown' cutting, or new 'green' growth as the cutting?

Also is there any recommendation on length of cutting?  Shoot side shoots be removed?

Thanks.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:30 pm »
To be honest scribble - I don't think it matters one jot. Willows are absolutely AMAZING and get going anywhere.

Personally, I would take a length - about 1m long and a centimetre thick at the base - of this year's growth and stick it in the ground with the buds pointing upwards in January. You just need a proddy stick (we use an earthing pole from the electric fencing) to make a guide hole and then just shove it in the ground.

I started with 25 of five different varieties two years ago and I now have three times that.

I have had 100% take rates on all verieties except for a couple of viminalis stems that the rabbits barked whilst we were waiting for more tree guards to come in the post last winter.

I plant mine through mypex to keep the weeds down but after a couple of years the top cover is such that most weeds won't grow underneath. I plant them 50cm apart. Will send pic once I get home this weekend.

It's very rewarding growing willow. I plan to use mine to make bentwood furniture and hurdles plus some basket weaving.

Have fun  :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS