Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gardens on a budget  (Read 7940 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Gardens on a budget
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:36 am »
We don't have much money so try and save it when we can.  We do like having a nice garden as well.  I get a lot of shrubs from my mum who likes moving things around in her garden and she also enjoys doing seeds every year so I get a lot of bedding and pot plants.  Aldi do good bedding plants though and I have bought quite a bit from there.

I also have a local nursery and agricultural college, which are near each other, that sells plants at very reasonable prices so get a lot from there.  There is also a very big, posh garden centre where I go for a nosy to see what looks nice, a brew and then go onto the nursery lol.

Helen

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:12 am »
I was watching a gardening programme and even the experts say plants we buy at some garden centers are too forced so do not do too well. I used to buy plants from a local shop and he grew stuff himself, the plants were never looked after well but as soon as they were planted they would race up!!!! I bought a plant once and by the end of the season had to cut it back...it was a Mallow plant, I will try and remember the name, anyway, plants that are from other people are much more hardy than buying the ones nice and green and fresh looking from a mash producer of plants, I prefer the independent garden centers but love looking at any of them!

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 11:50:56 pm »
Ina getting rid of the emotions when you move on and leave lots of hard grafted quality gardens is hard
 You have to think of it as the the toilet paper method  ... of doing your job and flushing the results away as you move on .  :roflanim:

If I move from here it's likely to be feet first out the gate on my back , unless we have a serious lottery win & then I won't give a toss either way .

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:36 am »
I watch out for plant sales, most of the buckets I use for growing things are recycled. As our chickens are free range I do not have many flowers unless grown in pots but shrubs and trees.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS