Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What advice do Chicken keeping Guides fail to tell you?  (Read 5084 times)

Bison

• Joined Sep 2012
What advice do Chicken keeping Guides fail to tell you?
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:51:23 pm »
HI, I am about to get a couple of chickens for eggs and as pets and have spent a small fortune on books and guides.

As experienced chicken keepers is there any advice or knowledge that the guides usually neglect to mention as they all seem to cover the same topics?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:10:57 pm by Bison »

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: What the chicken Keeping Manuals neglect to tell you
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »
Not all books properly explain how much fun you can have just watching your chickens as they scratch around - I wouldn't be without mine now and we've only had them a year.

I don't even mind (too much) if they get into the flower beds!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: What advice do Chicken keeping Guides fail to tell you?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »
Agree with SPBI. Chickens are fascinating and beware - you'll have twice as many this time next year so get bigger than you think you'll need in terms of drinkers, feeders and accommodation.

Get the best/biggest accommodation you can afford.

If they are going to free range then protect what you want to keep in your beds and veg etc.

We have recentley removed the fence from around our chicken pen and within a week they have sussed out where the main feed providers come from - so of a morning now they form a little delegation outside the back kitchen door!!!

Interstingly, they also follow the dog around. I am assuming they think he is something to do with the food as he is always with us when we put their food out so they have also associated him with food too. It's so funny

Good luck. :excited: :excited: ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:49 pm »
My contribution would be regarding the medication and egg withdrawal planning.   Some medication means you are not advised to eat the eggs for a period of time.

I wasnt aware and lost  4 weeks of prime egg laying time a few years ago.

taz08

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »
emm ,, its addictive,,, you wil be getting more hahah,
ohh and give them a few grapes,,, chicken rugby  :roflanim:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:10:12 pm »
...........is there any advice or knowledge that the guides usually neglect to mention...........
That fox will take your chickens during the day as well as the evening/night.
To make underneath the gate to your chicken pen fox proof too (cement it).
That peeing/placing human hair around the areas where you have poultry to 'deter foxes' is an old wives tale.
To raise your hen house off the ground to deter rats from nesting underneath.
That you also need a male chicken to make baby chickens...................
 :chook:   :innocent:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:38:43 pm »
That while most chicken coops sold are waist height at the apex and stand a couple inches off the ground at the base, which is convenient when you're a hen, for a person leaning in through the nestboxes or tiny pophole doors, or even a removable panel in the side or roof, gives you serious backache and many removable metal lined wood trays that you supposedly pull from either end for simple cleaning, warp enough to be stuck after the first time  :(

They also cost as much as a 6x4 garden shed which you can walk and stand up in..  And even with 3 or 4 smaller coops to give each their required perch space, they all try and pack themselves like sardines in one until a few get brave enough to form a breakaway roost group  ;)

If I were starting over, I'd go straight for the shed - at the time I was "just getting 4 POLs to try" - now I have 26 and might as well have gone for the bigger space to start with  ::)   Even though I thought I'd never manage to make a pophole I could have just left the door open or closed with the same result until I got my act together  ::)

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »
About a year ago we changed from straw in the bottom of their house to sand (plain old builders sand from B&Q very cheap!).  It has made cleaning the house much easier - daily I remove the soiled bits (bit like a cat litter tray) and then replace all the sand every 1-2 weeks. 

Donna

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:04 pm »
The more time you spend quietly observing your hens the more you'll get used to the way a happy, healthy hen looks and behaves and the quicker you'll spot when something's wrong.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:40:44 pm »
Don't think sand will compost very well. A bonus of having chickens is that you will have a fantastic compost heap.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
You know when I first started keeping hens and read lots of info I do remember thinking, 'but what about..' so many times as there was such a lot of things I wanted to know and the books didn't tell me.  I thought that anyone writing a book on livestock should do it in co with a novice. 

As you keep them for years, you find out most things anyway and you forget what you didn't know.  So don't worry that you're a novice, it's amazing how quickly you learn and the books do state most of the obvious things anyway.

Hens are fun, but we stopped breeding as we seemed to just be killing lots of lovely looking little boys and it was upsetting.  I take the easy route just buying hens.  If you do want to do the breeding thing in time, think about colour coded chicks such as Cream Legbar which have different coloured males from females.

Enjoy your hens.  and your sheep, goats, cows, ducks ........  :D  just all accidentally of course!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »
Dont know if books cover this but my tip would be to handle your chooks regularly and get a feel for a healthy fit bird.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:37 pm »
Handy tips - it can difficult to reintroduce new hens to an established group, so think how many you want to start with.
We use shredded paper for the hen house and straw just in the nesting boxes  which saves money.
And we got an automatic door for the hen house which saves rushing home in the dark to lock them in, or getting up early to let them out, or having someone open up and shut them in if we go away.
J xxxxx

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »
Yes - an automatic door is an absolute must  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 09:35:01 pm »
Don't think sand will compost very well. A bonus of having chickens is that you will have a fantastic compost heap.

We use a litter scoop to remove the chicken 'poop' and the used sand just gets spread around on the field.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS