« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 09:03:57 am »
Muc re Kipling and Ignatius :    :-[ :-[ :-[  HM

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: Apples
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:25:50 am »
Ah yes Mr. Kipling.....he does make exceedingly good cakes!   ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 10:59:41 am »
Still embarrassed by my misquote.   :pig: :pig: :pig:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »
This thread is very interesting!  My two piggies won't eat apples!  Got them quite late at 14 weeks and they won't eat anything other than pig feed.

Will buy at 8 weeks next time!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »
odd pigs.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »
chop up a little apple and mix it with the feed. We grind all our fruit and veg in a garden shredder (used solely for the pigs) and mix it with the feed. It was the best piggie investment we've made so far.

Regards,

Morgan

snowcloud

• Joined Aug 2009
  • New Forest, Hants
    • Stinky Cabbage Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:21 pm »
Mine were a bit picky to begin with too, just wanting their pig nuts and nothing else. My neighbor told me to chop stuff up the size of the pigs nuts and they soon get a taste for trying new stuff them. Mine eat all the apples I give them now... but I tend to keep it to about 7/8 a day.

daviddb

• Joined Feb 2009
  • pyrenees orietales
    • flickr pictures
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:44 pm »
Apples? Luxury!

No spare apples to be had in our neck of the Pyrenees; we were cloud and mist bound for two weeks in May and pollinisation just didn't happen. Only one of seventeen trees is bearing a crop  and I think that one is a Gala/Fiest cross  so PigOne and PigTwo are just having to hang on in there until the walnut crop ( which is looking strong) comes on stream.....

regards

David

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:30:39 pm »
Weather permitting, I've been gathering free food for the pigs. Most popular are: dandelion leaves, haws, sea spinach, blackberries, tattered outer leaves from brassicas, comfrey. In half an hour I can put together quite a nice porcine salad.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:49 am »
What a difference to the life of a factory farmed pig :pig:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 02:55:40 pm »
Whenever you lay your hands on a new food source, common sense dictates that you break your pigs into it gradually and build up the quantity slowly.

With pigs kept in an orchard, the apples will start to drop fairly slowly and infrequently at the start of the season, its natures way of doing what I've just described.

In addition to the odd bruised or manky apple, I'll be feeding my pigs the dry waste from my cider and apple juice making enterprise. The cheese ( mashed apples ) loses 70 t0 80% of its moisture at the end of the process. This apple waste will indeed start to ferment fairly quickly but this is where I have a cunning plan. :pig: This year, I intend bagging the apple waste and freezing it in handy lots and then defrosting some each and every day to feed the pigs with. This will be mixed with pig pellets and or rolled barley.
Now this is where the cunning plan becomes even more cunning. Eventually my freezer will be filled to the brim with bags of apple waste but as the pigs consume them, they are actually eating their way into the freezer. In this way, by the time the pigs are ready for the chop, there's going to plenty of freezer space for them. See ! I told you that it was a cunning plan. :)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 03:07:34 pm »
He He He, bit like digging your own piggie grave  ;D

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 03:10:18 pm »
Thats it exactly :) Unfortunately, its about as cunning as I get. :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS