Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castration??  (Read 2548 times)

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
Castration??
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:36 am »
Sorry if this topic has been covered before but I have a Balwen ram lamb who I would like to castrate as he dose not have the correct markings to register so so he is destined for the freezer or to be sold as a lawn mower (this is the proffered option as he is my first lamb) but when I tried to castrate him he sucked in his testicles has anyone got any ideas??

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Castration??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:22 am »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:44:30 am »
I find if you sit him up on his backside on your knee or even easier on someone elses knee. Run two fingers down his belly past his penis (press firm but not too much) This pushes the balls back into his sack. Keep your fingers there or he'll suck them back up. Put the ring over and release off the pilers but leave the ring attached to the pilers so you can check you have both and that you haven't got any extra bits in there.

Good luck!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:52 pm »
We were shown a similar technique as described by HF when castrating our Soay lambs last year. Our farmer friend sits the lambs on their bottoms on his feet/ holding their front legs. His advice was not to fumble and fiddle too much  ::)  as this tended to cause the testicles to be drawn back into the body ..... to work quickly though still checking that both were there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS