Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A 'Very' smallholder  (Read 4937 times)

ambodach

• Joined Jul 2009
A 'Very' smallholder
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:43:14 pm »
I got sent a link to your website by a friend who stumbled on it searching for something else and thought it would suit me.

I do actually live amongst a group of smallholdings just west of Edinburgh, but my patch is just a bit over 1/4 acre which is quite enough, thank you. But although I'm not into livestock - the neighbour's are a nuisance enough as it is - I do the vegetable garden bit enthusiastically (sometimes) and I'm sure there will be something to ask or contribute. 

I'm retired (hurrah!) and so can enjoy my pottering when I want to either gardenwise or in the workshop, which has just had a wood turning lathe added.

AmBodach - the old man.

sandy

Re: A 'Very' smallholder
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:52 am »
Welcome, I would love to grow more things but have a battle with slugs, although  I do harvest them in the morning and feed them to my Ducks, all I grow are herbs, a bit of salad stuff and some soft fruits and now some fruit trees, Apple and Pears. I have Chickens  :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:which I also see as Pets and some 2  :&> which are very much pets, Have had an allotment in the past but not at all dedicated to work land somewhere other than the garden, anyway, I will stop ramling and look forward to you posts.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:26:57 pm »
 yes i'm looking forward to your posts too. All the animal keepers will have something to say just watch.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:54:02 pm »
Hi and welcome. Size isn't everything!

Sure you wouldn't like a chook or two?

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:35 pm »
Hello and Welcome

Do you make wooden bowls and fancy posts or table legs?

You will have to post us a pic of your work, and your garden

I am sure your input will help us to grow lotsa stuff

Julie

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »
hiya! welcome to TAS! 
variety is the spice of life,
i love gardening but havent had time to do a patch this year as ive only been in my new place 2-3mths!
look forward to chatting on veg forum (coffie lounge is fun too!)
GEM. X

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:45:40 am »
Hello and welcome, wish I could grow veggies.  But I grow the best weeds in the world.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:29:08 pm »
Hello and welcome, wish I could grow veggies.  But I grow the best weeds in the world.

you do know you can still eat a few of those "weeds"
ie; nettles,dandilions,blackberrys.........
GEM. X

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:42:02 pm »
Hi and welcome from me who has given up on veggies, the pigs smell them a mile off and eat everything xxxxx good luck

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:45 am »
Hi ambodach...great handle...welcome to TAS...being a smallholder is a state of mind; not measured by what you have or how big your plot/holding is...I'm sure you will be an asset to the forum...my wife (The Boss, She Who Must Be Obeyed) is the gardener...so not a lot of contribution from me I'm afraid...but many on here will share your interests/passions...good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS