Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newly hatched chick with bleeding back  (Read 3949 times)

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
Newly hatched chick with bleeding back
« on: April 07, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »
Just hatching a few chicks. One of the ones that hatched today injured its back, a strip almost the length of it's back and quite wide for such a little bird. I am not sure what happened - did this while I was having lunch. It is fine in itself and it doesn't seem bothered by it. I have separated it from the older ones as I am worried that they will attack and make it worse.

I have some tar spray that I use on the hens if they do anything and hurt themselves, would this be ok to use on such a young healthy bird and then I can put it back with the others? I don't want to cull it as there is nothing else wrong with it.

Any advice is welcome.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Newly hatched chick with bleeding back
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:18:11 pm »
I had a chick hatch last week which was bleeding for about 4hrs I left it in incubator for 24hrs and it was fine ,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »
As long as the stomach is fully formed and closed (which is usually the issue with helping them out of the shell), you should not have a problem.

However if it starts to show problems killing a chick is always hard, so put it into the freezer and let nature take its course.

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
Thanks Floyd.  Had one this morning that had intestines hanging out of its bottom I thought it best to let that one go. This one has somehow what looks like stripped the fluff off its back and made it bleed. Otherwise behaving like all the others.

I have sprayed its back with Stockholm Tar and it seems to be doing well with the others now. It just seemed a waste to loose such a healthy little chick for something silly.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:32:53 am »
As long as the stomach is fully formed and closed (which is usually the issue with helping them out of the shell), you should not have a problem.

However if it starts to show problems killing a chick is always hard, so put it into the freezer and let nature take its course.

Yes..... but i never new nature had a freezer, but then i suppose freezing its bits off in the pitch black it wont mind as im sure it will be thinking "at least my owner will find it easier to put me in here rather than dispatch me within a split second"   

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:42 am »
It is hard to cull a little chick. Better to break it's neck than let it die slowly in the freezer if you ask me.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:41:32 am »
They just go to sleep don't they?  Same as you or I would do in the Arctic.  Would they feel the same as we would if we got that cold?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:39:11 pm »
I agree with Pasture Farm. I would much rather know that if it has to go that it is quick. I can't relax if I know they are suffering. The one with the bleeding back is fine now, running round quite happily with the others.

This has been a great hatch for me. I tried once before in a polystyrene incubator with 6 eggs. 2 grew to nearly hatch and died in the shell. This time I have 40 healthy little bundles of fluff (using polyhatch incubators - much better).

Still have the quail to hatch - due today in the old polystyrene one. Did well with them last time. 37 out of 48.

Yes they are so sweet when they fall asleep. I wouldn't like to think how they would feel if they got cold.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:28 pm »
Never heard of putting chicks in the freezer to kill them. And never tried sleeping in arctic conditions, so couldn't comment on the accuracy of 'just going to sleep' - but doubt whether feeling bitterly cold to the point of freezing to death is a pleasant experience.

Glad to read all is going well harefarm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:31:54 pm by OhLaLa »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:38 pm »
I was told (when I first started) drowning in luke warm water was good as they just went to sleep. What rubbish! They fight like hell to stay alive once born. The thought of freezing them to death is cruel beyond belief !!!!!!!!

Must treat them as adult birds and despatch accordingly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS