Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deer  (Read 3504 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Deer
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:30 pm »
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this..... am sure it will be moved if I am in the wrong location.

I have a growing problem with Deer.

At first I enjoyed seeing them in the fields and occasionally in the garden. But they have destroyed a established rose bed, to the point where I gave up and turned it back to a lawn.

Time is so precious and after spending lots of it setting up new beds and borders I really want to keep the Deer off.

I have set up strings with CD's hanging off them to spook the Deer and I have installed a high seat in a tree so that a local marksman can try to cull..... but for 2 years he has not been there at the right time !

Does anyone have any other methods for keeping Deer away from gardens ?

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Deer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:39 am »
Really tall fencing is the only way to keep them out. Do you know what species they are?

They're active at odd times of day - early morning and evenings - is your sniper coming round at the right time?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:47 am »
fencing is the only solution it needs to be at least 6ft high and very well fastened!!!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:38:01 am »
Yes. I was hoping to keep away from Deer fences due to expense and not sure I could live with the whole prison camp look.  I have used a game cam to see when they are about and is so variable.

We are blessed with Roe, Fallow and the odd muntjak (sp?) .

This time last year I got some fantastic photos of a group of 8 Fallow including a white male all rather glorious with their antenna on show.  ;D

I am rather looking forward to our first bit of "home grown" venison.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
Good for you to "see the meat". They are lovely creatures to look at but far too numerous and damaging to be left uncontrolled.

Is the field fenced in any way? I've heard that deer don't like sheep but that might be an old wives tale

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
The fencing on the small holding is pretty poor all round.... But I have watched them run straight through the bit of 4 strand barbed wire that is excellent.... They do this without jumping or damaging themselves... And leave the smallest trace of hair behind..... Is like a magic trick.

Excellent !!! Old wives is exactly who I wanted to reply !!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:07:04 pm »
You can also buy some stuff that you can spray onto plants as 'antigraze' - useful for rabbits too. It would work for really precious stuff but really hard work (and expensive) for the whole garden. Plus it needs repeating every few weeks. Do you have a dog?

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:29:55 pm »
223 is the best way for deer if you aren't getting much luck with your currant marksman put some adverts up and vet them as I'm sure you will

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 07:31:02 pm »
Hester thanks. I will look it up. I am hoping that the CD's on strings create a bit of time for some of the plants to recover. Once they are no longer "New" they seem to ignore, unless they are roses.  Yes I have a dogs,  my own tends to wander if left out on his own, but my OH's lurcher would chase, catch and kill..... With ease.... But is not a nice thing to see and would avoid it at all costs.

Hassel, I agree I was even considering doing the DSC myself and sittting up the tree. I have quite a number of customers who are suitably equipped, but never seem to be here at the right time.

Reg henderson

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
Roar is good for keeping pests out of the garden , Its made from pelleted lion dung , smaller mamals pick up the sent of a bigger predator and stay away , works on rabbits , dogs , cats and deer , I know you can get it from Dobbies  , around £10 a box cant remember the square meters it covers , much cheaper than fences but only lasts around 6 months and needs redone

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »
Have a look here:

http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_deterrents.html

"The only effective barriers against deer are properly erected and maintained deer fences and individual tree/plant guards"

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:47:58 pm »
Spandit is spot on. The answer is fencing and tree guards.
Don't know where you are, but are you actually allowed to shoot them? It's most definately illegal where we are. Be cautious.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:05 pm »
In season shooting is fine here ! They are considered a real problem.

Yup fencing is not going to happen...... And tree guards for veg and flowers is impractical.

Looking with interest with the oriental deer scarers ... Often sold as a designer addition to the garden.

Obviously I will make a more modern version that is not designer at all !!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:24 am »
Spandit, Thanks for that link . Was an interesting read.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS