Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a start!  (Read 5496 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
What a start!
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:53 pm »
Well we have started lambing ;D ;D

After keeping me on my toes for days, I went down to the field just before tea time to discover Charlotte my fawn katmoget shetland ewe has had TRIPLETS!! All up dry and feeding before I even got there :D
All snug in a pen for now whilst I check she can do all 3 but I reckon she can :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: What a start!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:14 am »
Excellent CW and triplets too, what a great ewe - had my first Shetland yesterday before my 5am check, single up on feet and raring to go, they are just full off life aren't they  :thumbsup:  shetlands
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:41:27 am »
Great news, congratulations  :thumbsup:

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:31 am »
Many congratulations! !! What colour?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:57 am »
Pictures needed  ::) I love shetland lambs 
Graham

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:51 am »
I have 2 grey katmoget boys each with white markings, and a little fawn katmoget girlie :love: :love:
Pics when I have finally got another camera ::)
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »
All 3 babies still with full tums and nice and content. Such a good mum :love:  I so hope she is able to rear all 3. Looking at her udder she has milk for about 10 ;D
I reckon the little ewe lamb might be a keeper if mum does manage all of them. Would definitely like to keep that trait going :thumbsup:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:50 am »
Has anyone ever done a DNA comparison between them and the Badger Face?  The markings are so similar there must be common ancestry, surely.  Did the breed originate in Scandinavia and work its way down to Wales, or vice versa?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:21 am »
I doubt it, but the badger type marking is of quite primitive origin and crops up occasionally in other breeds too.
With the badgers it is a case of selectively breeding for a particular set of markings - rogues badger will crop up from time to time in ordinary white welsh mountain flocks as will the occasional black lamb.

My daughter founded her (now pedigree) badger flock on a badger marked store lamb from a pen of white store lambs at the local market.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »
All 3 babies still with full tums and nice and content. Such a good mum :love:  I so hope she is able to rear all 3. Looking at her udder she has milk for about 10 ;D
I reckon the little ewe lamb might be a keeper if mum does manage all of them. Would definitely like to keep that trait going :thumbsup:

You will probably have to feed her some concentrate if you keep all three lambs on her.

What is grey katmoget with white markings? Can't quite picture it ???

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:36 pm »
With some extra food she should manage fine  :thumbsup:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »

You will probably have to feed her some concentrate if you keep all three lambs on her.

Yep she's eating cake like no tomorrow!

Technically he is grey katmoget smirslet I believe. Imagine a normal grey kat that got white paint spilled on his head :love:
Will get pics ASAP ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »

Technically they are grey katmoget smirslet I believe. Imagine a normal grey kat that got white paint spilled on his head :love:
Will get pics ASAP ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:30 pm »

Technically they are grey katmoget smirslet I believe. Imagine a normal grey kat that got white paint spilled on his head :love:
Will get pics ASAP ;D

Aaah, that's where the white is. Just couldn't think straight...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS