Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got any hop roots - can offer eggs, cider, ale, what have you - Grantham  (Read 3155 times)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Says it all really, I would like to grow some hops and believe they are still dormant this time of year?
Cheers
Olly
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Coming from a hop growing district I think that hops are normally propagated from cuttings taken in the early spring. 

I know wilt is a big problem so transplanting roots may not be the way forward. 

No expert on this you understand, just something I sort of know about from just living on the Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders.

~~~~~~~~~
Found this

Cut a few shoots as the plants first become active
[/size]
[/size]Be warned Softwood Cuttings take a lot of  care and have a poorish[/size] success rate and not all them will survive[/size]and dont let them get too hot but give them plenty of light .You should get your softwood cuttings early in the morning and take the terminalshoots and cut just below the 2nd node .Try and keep the shoots moist .Put cuttings in a 6 pack filled with Perlite made a hole with a pencil andput the cuttings in and then watered well and then stick the 6 pack in a ziplock bag and spray with a light mist of water every day for 2 weeks and thenpot them up if they have roots and keep them fairly moist preferably in a greenhous .You might want to userooting powder
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:26:54 am by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Thanks!
So, alternatively need a volunteer with some hop plants, and a sharp knife  :farmer:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
I only grow the dwarf varieties, but happy to try for you if you don't get any offers.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Ooh, does that mean I could make beer for hobbits? Or perhaps small beer?  :D

I only have relatively small spaces to do it... was thinking of training some up and over the chicken run. Where do you grow yours and how big do they get?

Ta

Olly

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
They grow to about 7feet. i grow mine both up a hedge and also in large containers.  the idea was to use the hops for beer, but have never got round to it thus far!

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Well they sound good, and I can surely talk you into making beer from them! Any idea what varieties they are?
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Mel

I have them growing wild- everywhere, I have no idea of the variety but the yields are incredibly high. I have never done anything with them and they are now incorporated with the landscaping, they look lovely over arches and such.

If you do not have any, I would also be willing for cuttings, seeing if they root for you- I have Perlite etc on hand, some have just started trailing, some are just with shoots appearing, I am not too sure why or if they can grow from a rootball? I am sure that they could, I can dig one up for you and you can give it a try.

Pm me if this is of any use?!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS