Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormery  (Read 1586 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Wormery
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:33:05 pm »
Wormery.... anyone have these..and are they as good as people say

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Re: Wormery
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »
Found my useful when I lived in a built up area. Now I have 2 acres I have enough room to compost properly so don't need a wormery.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »
I still use mine for all the scraps the chickens dont like (they are fussy cause they free range I think).  Started using one because of rats in the compost, and have carried on cause I know we have lots of potential for rats here so dont want to feed them.  We have a cheap plastic tub afair about 4 layers, works brilliantly.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:36 pm »
I've tried to make my own, unsuccessfully though, i ended up sending away for all the info and dvd from  up north, cant remember now where exactly but it cost about thirty pounds.  If you'd like to have it i'll send it to you if you pay the postage, it'll tell you all the ins and outs of wormery-ing!
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »
sounds good then..I need to get my place 1st smiley, but thanks for the kind offer..
i do hate rats , a friend once asked me to help him shoot a few at a chicken farm.... jeeze..i had never seen so many rats in my life..and talk about big....i think between us we had about 60 but didn't even dent the population..

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:49 pm »
My OH bought me mine for Christmas one year.  (Try explaining that one to my mother.  "He bought you a WHAT????")  It's one of the ones with three trays and a sump.  I found the tap was difficult to turn after a while and the plastic handle came off so now I waste all the 'worm juice' which is great for plant food.  I use it for kitchen waste and the worms do make lovely fine compost.  I bought mine from Wiggly Wigglers.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:02 am »
I wanted to get one, but part of the deal with OH is I'm only allowed one new species of animal per year. Despite my protestations, several thousand worms apparently do count, and she's worried I won't be able to give them all the individual time and attention they deserve.

Can anybody clarify - do you have to name them ALL?   Also, how do you tell them all apart? it's ever so confusing  :o .

Seriously though, there are loads of guides on instructables etc on making your own wormery out of stacking boxes. I have to say though, my favourite design is the "hungry bin" as sold on Omlet, which is a continuous cone, so no messing about with trays. Unfortunately they can take a hike for £175, but making your own in a conical shape is quite tricky - any ideas folks?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:23 am »
I've had a wormery for a few years now and they are great for producing beautiful worm cast compost which I mix with sand and vermiculite to use as seed germination compost.

To start with I did have difficulty seeing the worms through the whole year but now I have the wormery in a shady spot in the summer and in the polytunnel over winter.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS