Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time limit for fostering on?  (Read 2802 times)

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
Time limit for fostering on?
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:19 pm »
I am hoping someone may be able to help me with this - one of our ewes (Wiltshire horn) had twins Sunday morning, unfortunately they both died. She was the first of ten to lamb - if one of the others has triplets, are we too late to try and foster one on to the ewe who lost her lambs? (It is nearly 48 hours now, and not sure when the next will lamb... Or if they will have more than two (although we had a set of quads last year!))

Any advise appreciated

Tam

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: Time limit for fostering on?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
I think it depends on how long you are prepared to persevere - and even then it's not guaranteed, the longer it goes the less likely I think.  I've never been successful even with newly born lambs!  ::)   I had a ewe last year who had twins born dead, she was pining for them so I bought two cade lambs in after a couple of days to try and foster them onto her as she had loads of milk, but despite trying for a week she would not allow them to suckle.

I'm sure others have done it though and can give you their experience!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »
Thanks for the advise, I think you are right, the longer it goes on the harder it would be and it's all if's and but's too, just feel sorry for her having nothing to look after and she has loads of milk.
Tam

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »
Don't forget that unless you milk her out a least twice a day the pressure will cause her to dry off quickly, 3 days is about the limit for putting a lamb on

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:55 pm »
It also depends on the nature of the ewe, some take to lambs without much persuasion, others will not have them at any price!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:07 pm »
I only managed to get a ewe to take a foster lamb once after losing her own 2 days before but she was a first class mum and would have fed any baby.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 03:41:40 am »
I've done it up to a week after - the milk came back to the ewe.  It was an extraordinary year and I wouldn't normally attempt it after more than about 48 hours, but that year we did several at 3, 4 and 5 days and most of them worked.  These were moorland Swales.

I have only ever tried to foster a single on, no matter how many she lambed. 

I think you'd do it no bother in an adpoter, or quite probably get it to work in a small pen - generally when they are bereaved, they are desperate to have a lamb to raise and will accept a foster without too much argument.  Less so when it's their first time lambing, mind.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:22:47 am »
Thanks to all of you, this is really useful stuff to hear

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:57:21 am »
Have you get the dead lambs? Could always try getting a Cade now & skinning dead ones i did my first foster this year a ewe had a single an I thought try give her another got a Cade put her in a pen covered lambs back in treacle and she licked it clean an now looks after twins :-)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:06 am »
Wipe off the lamb thoroughly so it doesn't smell of another ewe.  I try to milk off as often as possible and have kept a ewe in milk for a week by doing this 4 or 5 times a day - strip her out each time.  We've made our own adopters that allow the lamb to go under the ewe's nose - once her own milk goes through it she generally accepts it.

Tam

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 01:11:38 pm »
Yes, still got dead lambs just in case - as it turns out, the neighbouring shepherd has got an orphan lamb......

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:19:50 am »
Get that lamb an give it a go! It will go one of 2 ways

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS