Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe not eating post-giving birth to twins  (Read 6519 times)

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
Ewe not eating post-giving birth to twins
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:10:53 pm »
Hello.

I have a small Southdown ewe, who gave birth to twins on Sunday (3.58kg and 3.92kg).  The lambs are gaining weight and the mothers milk is fine, however I'm a bit worried about the mother as she is not eating, there are no other obvious symptoms, she seems bright and alert.

Post giving birth she's not touched her food, (she is drinking).  I wonder if this is because she snaffled up the afterbirth and this has upset her stomach? (however no diarrhea) .  The ewe will have a sniff of the ewe-nuts but wont really eat. 

I was thinking of giving her some yogurt, as I wondered if eating the afterbirth unsettled her stomach, any advice welcome.....

Thanks

Paul

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Ewe not eating post-giving birth to twins
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »
I assume she is back out on the grass happy with her twins? If so she just may not be hungry. Is she eating hay? Is she in good condition, if she has plenty of milk and is bright she should be fine.
If she is not eating and is penned indoors, let her out and see if she eats grass....she may just want to be outside! Sheep eating placenta is not a problem, some do most don't bother but will not upset her. good luck
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

paulrollings

• Joined Jan 2012
  • West Hanney, Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »
Yes good thinking, she is still in a pen with the twins, I'll let her out into the field .... thanks

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:42:02 pm »
If she still doesn't eat once she is outside then post back, as sheeps that don't eat are not well sheeps :).

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »
Can you try a bit of course mix? when ours go off their nuts we give them that and it seems to be a bit more appitising than nuts

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:57:11 pm »
Soaked sugar beet shreds, with maybe some oat bran on top always does it for mine... Also if they are used to a lick, she may like that. Failing that - toast with honey....

Did she eat hay while she was inside?

You could also try a vit B injection, like Duphraval as an appetite stimulant,

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:04:43 pm »
If she still doesn't eat once she is outside then post back, as sheeps that don't eat are not well sheeps :) .
Absolutely!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:42:22 pm »
One of my Badger Face looked unwell the day after she had twins that tried to enter the world at the same time.  Both OK now but I had to push the first back in as it had one leg back and the second came out in a rush 20 seconds later.  I think she was just exhausted and wasn't drinking or particularly interested in cake, let alone hay. Her temperature was 41.3 deg. so I gave her Alamycin LA and a twin lamb drench then warmed water in a drench gun.  A bucket of grass cut from around the pond got her interested and today her temperature's normal and she looks OK. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS