Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: After Birth Retained  (Read 7740 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
After Birth Retained
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:43 am »
Hi folks am after some advice please.

One of our Ewes had twins yesterday dinner time. The first one came out fine and was alive and all well. After about 40 minutes the second was born but just came out in what I can only describe as a brown sack in a lump. On bursting the sack inside was a perfectly formed lamb which was quite obviosly dead. In my inexperienced opinion I would say due to it's colour it had been dead inside for some time?

After about 2 hours the ewe passed the placenta whole along with the "pipework".
The trouble is the ewe still has the "pipework" and a couple of lumpy bits hanging out down to the ground from what I can only assume was the birth of the second lamb.

I have given the ewe a 8ml shot of antibiotic (Betamox LA) and left everything hanging. On checking her this morning all seems fine with mother and lamb,both eating and feeding as expected.

I guess my question is have I done right so far and is it just a case of letting the "bits" come away? Also how long is the cover from the antibiotic good for?

Any advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks   Fishy.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: After Birth Retained
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »
Hi Fishy
As a vet and long time lamber, hopefully I can help.
Sounds like the second lamb had been dead for a while, I usually find if they come out within the sack, especially if it is brown coloured, they died in the womb some time ago.
Sometimes these have died because of some infection, occasionally a knock or something, it can be very hard to know what caused it, and if you only have a small number (up to 1-2% of lambs) then it is usually not even worth testing for infectious causes.
As regards a placenta, it is fairly common for the placenta to be retained if there is a problem at birth, such as malpresentations, hard pulling or dead lambs. Normally the placenta comes away within hours, but if they are retained, then bacteria come in and gradually break the afterbirth away from the uterus. This will be smelly, but it should come away on its own at about 3-4 days after lambing. The betamox usually covers for 2-4 days, so as long as she remains bright and eating, then I would just watch her over the next few days. Pulling the afterbirth usually will not help as the deepest bits are likely to still be attached, so just wait and see. If she goes off colour, or it is beyond 4 days after lambing, it may be worth getting the vet to have a look, or repeat the betamox yourself and see how she does.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:22 pm »
I had this with a couple of ewes and vet said to leave for a couple of days, keep in and if it hasn't passed put on a glove and very gently apply pressure.  As it dries up it comes away easier.  He said similar pressure to lifting a 10kg bag of feed.  It worked for me and ewe was quite happy.

Also make sure covered with antibiotics until it does expel. Stinks a bit!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »
You did exactly right FISHYHADDOCK  :thumbsup:

And I would say exactly the same as fsmnutter - Betamox LA is good for about 3 days, hopefully the remainder will come away by then; if not then repeat the Betamox LA; if she becomes listless, off her food, or otherwise worries you then either give her another shot or call the vet.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
Many thanks everybody I will sleep easier now. 

The learning continues!!

Fishy

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:18:33 am »
I do the same, cept I use Alamycin LA.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS