Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Losing Ryeland lambs  (Read 8850 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Losing Ryeland lambs
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »
OMG....sorry to hear this Jess, One lamb born so far to my Ryelands which is obviously same ram, who now all live with other friends as have had to give up sheep is thriving.....all other lambs of this ram in past have never had a problem....
I would have been straight to vet for PM on first one as I think you have a problem. Ryelands are easy sheep, not difficult ones and its not the ram.....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »
The ram was mine, good ram, well looked after, wormed and fluked.

You do need to get a PM done the minute the next one dies, I would have done that after the second one died anyway.

Also who is the sire (is he yours) and is he (closely) related to the ewes? Are the ewes related (as in have same sire and/or are sisters/half sisters)? Any pedigrees?

Have the ewes been vaccinated/boostered with Heptavac P+?

When did you buy them - were they already in lamb? and if yes, where did they come from. I don't know where in the country you are, but if down south Schmallenberg could well be implicated.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »
Could it be that your soil has some deficiency or other that was not present in the area the ewes came from? Some micro nutrient lacking from the diet that the ewes were used to that then suddenly was absent might cause problems like this.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »
We crossed our North Country Mules with a Ryland a couple of years ago and found the lambs very sturdy and quick to get up.  I do hope you find out what it is and can do something to save the others.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 06:56:55 pm »
Could it be that your soil has some deficiency or other that was not present in the area the ewes came from? Some micro nutrient lacking from the diet that the ewes were used to that then suddenly was absent might cause problems like this.

That or feeding of lots of cake or....over fertilised pasture which has caused an imbalance springs to mine as you have lost older sheep as well as lambs. From what I have seen of Ryelands they literally live on air! Trying to keep them slim is more of a problem!
I think it might just be what VSS has said....and must ask what mamagememt the ground and grassland they are on has had?  :bouquet:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Jcrang

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:40 pm »
Soil deficiency is an interesting thought as they were kept on our other farm with the cull ewes away for the hogs and breeding flock. The grass they were on is a pretty old lay of 37 acres and only used for silage and parking for Glastonbury festival! Any recommendations for soil analysis companies??

Val it's great to hear the rest of the lambs are ok, my 7 all came from different places so no pattern emerging there. On Hep P and had boosters 5 weeks pre lambing, wormed as well earlier in year. Not fluked but think we are free at the moment. Udders are good, not sign of mastitis or lumps.

I'd agree with condition score in the Mules as they have had a tough winter but the Ryelands were In pretty good shape, maybe even a little too fat.

It really is a mystery but great to here that other Ryeland breeders find them pretty resilient. If they were the Mules they would have a red dot and be sent to market but they are far too lovely for that!!! I've moved them today to an old walled garden that is now grass so they have a sheltered place, fingers crossed everything will be ok from now on.
Thanks for everyone's advice and support, this is definitely my favourite website!!

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
Did you say Parking, will the drops of diesel and oil not foul the ground and if so the accumulation of heavy oils over the years could have soured the lay. And the by the sound of it the animals have been poisoned as the symptoms of heavy oil poisoning does induce wobbly walking, deformity in young, and brain damage.

You must definitely have the soil checked and you may need to look at last years silage if cut after the festival and have that checked for it may contain heavy oil residue.

Lets hope all goes well with the remainder of your Ryelands.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 08:18:50 pm »
Lack of selenium? Can be fixed with a jab from the vet.  Fluke may not have been a problem in your sheep in the past but can be spread on pasture by wildlife vectors such as deer, hares, etc.  Wet conditions will allow the intermediate stages of fluke to survive and be eaten by sheep, whether or not they have suffered in the past.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:44 pm »
Having had Rylands in the past i found them to be easy to keep and healthy. I would want a PM before even thinking of breeding again. Sorry that this has happen to you but you need to get to the cause.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
If you are that near the festy, then you are near me and our soil is copper deficient for sure.
Fluke has also been hideous round here and the losses all round are dreadful, esp with cattle around abouts.
Dunno which vets you use but I find westfield very understanding with regard to pet flocks and they are more than happy to issue advice :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS