Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fishing for mackrel  (Read 5485 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
fishing for mackrel
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:44:11 pm »
does anyone know if there are any boats that you can book so you can go and catch loads of mackrel for the day and then take them home and cure, gravadmax style? like i used to when i was a kid? i live near Oxford so anything Bristol or south coast would be great. thanx!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: fishing for mackrel
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:56 pm »
Can't help you on the boat front, but the best gravadlax I've ever had was mackerel. With a divine sauce which, if I remember rightly, was creme fraiche, mustard, lots of dill or fennel, S & P, and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Superb on home made Irish Soda Bread, sliced very finely. Mmmmm. Need to find a boat on the Firth of Forth.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »
Can't help you on the boat front, but the best gravadlax I've ever had was mackerel. With a divine sauce which, if I remember rightly, was creme fraiche, mustard, lots of dill or fennel, S & P, and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Superb on home made Irish Soda Bread, sliced very finely. Mmmmm. Need to find a boat on the Firth of Forth.

i love the way mackrel cures too. that sauce sounds fantastic might have a little go at that if i ever get a quiet moment.  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »
buy a sea angling magazine, always loads of boats advertising in there, ive nearlyalways made my ticket price  back!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »
As always, DITW, full of good advice.  :bouquet:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »
good idea DITW that is a fine place to start!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:06 pm »
shucks, thanks guys!! :D

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
Just for my 2 pennyworth...

http://www.worldseafishing.com

you can go to the forums for your area and put out a request...brilliant site

arwelcoed

• Joined Feb 2012
  • West midlands
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:22 pm »
I think that the angling magazine is the way to go plus they will all be having free things on the front covers soon I would imagine, so you might even get the feathers for your trip in the same purchase!
Then again everyone has websites these days so maybe google is your friend...as it often is!
Tight lines!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:10:43 pm »
Boat trips from Newquay Wales

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 02:34:08 pm »
I sea fished out off Minehead last year, wasn't right time for mackerel but got lots of dogfish, rays atc. Lots of fun!
Olly
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:36 pm »
Ring your nearest fishing tackle shop, they should be able to point you in the right direction  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
The mackeral are in at West Bay, nr Bridport, Dorset.  Lots of folk fishing off the pier and from the beach, the fish practically jump onto the hooks! :hungry: :hungry:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
your best time for mackerel, is between june and september, I catch mine of the kayak, summer evenings just before dusk, the mackies chase in the bait fish, your best feathers are the tiny shrimp like lures..
and if you have a spare rod, take the head off a mackerel and cast it about 6-10 feet out..you may be lucky to land a nice bass

gyt the makerl on the beach..they will stay fresher for longer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS