Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking equipment  (Read 17013 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Milking equipment
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »
I had no luck with that design so I hope you do better.I found the tubes were too easily kicked away and it meant you had to start trying to get the vacuum right all over again
   I prefere the UdderlyEZ thingy as I found it easier to use and if you have a fiesty goat you can persevere with holding the "gun" in place or easily whisk it off,it doesn't take many pumps and there are no tubes to get kicke :) d off

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:02 pm »
Sokel - pressumably it's easy to hand milk then if you've set aside the machine - or at least just as much hassle as the machine but you don't have all the washing up?
TBH I prefer the hands on at milking, just feel its when you really get to bond with the goats as its just you and her.
When they are all in full milk we are going to have to use the machine though  :-\ as no way can I hand milk 6 milkers morning and night with my arthritis
It actualy takes longer with the machine with all the cleaning involved afterwards
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:10 pm »
I enjoy the hand milking and well.  Fortunately, my arthriticky hands are standing up quite well to hand milking.  I did thick I'd have to go over to aome sort of machine.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:14 am »
I bought the UdderlyEz thing last year had a shock at extra tax to pay, then couldnt seem to get it to work on the goat (I could get the suction OK, no milk coming thru). goat started hiding round the corner rather than her usual hop up onto the milkin bench.
Machine now back in it's box.
At the price i ended up paying I've had to promise to try it again this next year :-(

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 10:03:49 am »
sell it in Marketplace, after Jaykay's write up I'm sure there will be others willing to experiment.  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 01:52:05 pm »
I'll buy it penninehillbilly if you have no luck,I was going to buy a spare.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:16 am »
sorry jinglejoys, wasn't ignoring you, I havn't had time for the comp for a while, I suppose I should give it another try this year, otherwise I'll never hear the last of it from OH  ::) .

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:33 pm »
When you say you have trouble getting the milk to come through despite the suction,do you hand milk the first couple of squirts first to check everything is o.k and so that the first milk doesn't end up in the bottle?Some goats like to hold their milk back so its better to check they are relaxed whatever method you use.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 02:15:30 pm »
When you say you have trouble getting the milk to come through despite the suction,do you hand milk the first couple of squirts first to check everything is o.k and so that the first milk doesn't end up in the bottle?Some goats like to hold their milk back so its better to check they are relaxed whatever method you use.
yes, got the milk running first, but she does have largish teats, which is why I tried this, emailed the company first and they said it would be OK.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 01:41:46 pm »
Had to come back to this.
As in another post a goatling has kidded, but has very small teats, tried the UdderlyEZ and it works brilliantly, must have just been Nutty's big fat teats which gave me the problems.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »
 :excited: brill.. I think they are great

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:37 pm »
Then maybe you should try the cow sized cups in it if she has large teats?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
the chap via email assured me goat should be OK, suggested I didn't use the insert, maybe I should have sent him a picture of her! Thinking of just leaving kids on her this year, she seemed to develop small lump in the teat and was difficult to milk out that side.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS