Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Copper sulphate  (Read 2571 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Copper sulphate
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »
Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
We have a problem with fluke up here.
Someone told me their dad, who was a farmer,  used to put copper sulphate on their land to kill snails and contain fluke.
I assume this is now banned?
Or do people still use it?
And what about copper toxicity in sheep?
I'm intrigued....
Any information would be great
Thank you
J xxxx

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Copper sulphate
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:34:49 pm »
Im pretty sure it is perfectly legal, although its use might be controlled due to rules designed to prevent pollution of watercourses etc. certainly it is the main constituent of bordeaux mixtures, much loved by organic farmers as its one of the few things they are allowed to use.

Animals could be poisoned but I think the use on land is 1;100 (dont quote me) so it would likely need to be a cumulative exposure.  Using on resting land might be the best option(aside from improving drainage which would be a more permanent solution albeit an expensive one!)
Some breeds of sheep are more prone to copper poisoning than others eg texels are and some other euro breeds and north ronaldsay especially

Not sure where you are in UK, up here I would be checking out Scottish agricultural college  and vets re best approach to take and SEPA re watercourses
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:36:31 pm by lachlanandmarcus »

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:41:34 pm »
Hi. We are in central Scotland so I'll follow up your ideas for contacts and information.
We have mostly hebridean sheep.
Thanks very much for your help
J xxx

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »
Pat Coleby who wrote "Natural Sheep Care" recommends it in a home made lick that includes dolomite, kelp and sulphur.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS