Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lil sick lamb what to try next?  (Read 2320 times)

Klb

• Joined Sep 2012
Lil sick lamb what to try next?
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »
As title says really, got lil bottle fed lamb 2 1/2 wks of ages had since around 48hrs old, all was going well till couple days ago, he is currently in the position where he can't stand up on his own or stand for any length of time under 30 sec, if supporting him while standing he shakes while legs seem to buckle, he is still alert calling for milk while happily nibbling on hay/straw/pellets what ever is near he is also happily taking water. Though he is wee'ing I haven't seen any stools but could be falling to bottom on straw.

He has had pen/step, metacam & vitesel. He also had some long lasting anti bots when 4 days old for snotty/crusty nose, not sure if this could be related.

Any ideas welcome.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Lil sick lamb what to try next?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »
multi vit injection is always worth a try.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:04 pm »
We've  had a couple like that this year- 1 was ok after 3 days of pen and strep, the other died. For the one that survived we made a cradle type sling to go around his tummy, just to get him off his legs and let the blood flow to them again. That seemed to help :)

Klb

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:04 pm »
The sling is a good idea I'm current supporting him and walking around to keep his muscles working and hopefully keeping his digestive system going, the sling will def save my back.
I will call vet about muti vit injection, though poor lil might being injected daily at mo (5 day course), would it also be worth putting an lick in with him, that's even if he shows an interest.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:23:09 am »
The sling was a square of material (old tshirt material or similar, tea towl or something) that went under his belly, then had holes at each of the 4 corners that some baler twine was tied to which we then fastened to the string on bales that were making the pen up he was in. Very crudely done but did the trick!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS