Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - stray cat coming into house and spraying!  (Read 21273 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help - stray cat coming into house and spraying!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »
Your cats have adopted him. Your opinion has become irrelevant  ;D :cat: :cat:    :cat:

;D

Funny from the cats' point of view - but perhaps less so from the p-o-v of the other humans who think he is their cat!  Still, if they don't put a collar and name/address tag on him, what can you do?
Sorry but that isn't a good criteria either.  I have a  roaming cat - he doesn't spray and he is neutered, but he just adores people, other cats, and horses.  He has gone through 10 - yes 10   ::) collars in 5 years, and the last one was under his armpit when he came home, a previous one had got twisted and he came home choking - I had to cut that one off to save him.  So just because a cat has no collar doesn't mean he isn't a much loved pet, and it certainly doesn't mean he is a stray - no cat is a stray.  They are opportunists and will go where they find the best bed/food/company.  At the  moment Rio is sporting a lovely light blue suede collar with my mobile and post code plastered over it in black pen.  A strange thing happened a couple of weeks go too.  His sister disappeared one night three years ago - always came in every night without fail, then one night didn't.  I scoured the roadsides and a Network Rail maintenance team checked the line as well.  I assumed she was dead.  However, as I was driving slowly down the Cattle Market a cat strolled - yes strolled across in front of my car and turned to look at me.  It was Candy!! I'd k,now her anywhere, she was also a ginger, but paler than Rio, and her face had a peachy pink glow with one eyebrow higher than the other - it was definitely her. She has a new home! :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:28 am »
I second the microchip catflap.

My mum had had the magnetic ones before and the cats always managed to push their way through, no problem at all with microchip, in fact even we can't push our way through it (though could probably kick it in if determined). Best investment we ever made for the cats. The one we have is the one that is powered from the mains.

I agree that a cat without a collar doesn't mean it isn't owned, some cats just won't wear a collar no matter how much an owner tries. But the owner can microchip the cat, so if you do catch him get the vet to scan him. In addition it is true that cats independence is part of the attraction, and if they decide they want to live elsewhere they will up sticks and go. If mine made that decision I'd rather someone took them in and loved them than turned they away in case they already had an owner. Luckily I get to feel blessed each evening mine return through the flap knowing that my home is where they call home, for now.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
Well Barnaby is not a tom cat and he now sleeps in the stables as he was spraying in the house. Drove me nuts. We had another stray cat a couple of years ago that turned up and started fighting with Jacs. She is a quite easy going girl but this stray laid into her big time. We got the stray in a trap and took it to the vets thinking it was a tom. turn out he had already been done and was just a nasty lad. Cats protection took him. Over the years strays pay us a visit but we have no girls who come into season so they move on.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:16 am »
Until there's a cat flap that can detect whether or not Bertie has something in his mouth, he'll just have to yowl on the windowsill to get in  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
I second the microchip catflap.

The one we have is the one that is powered from the mains.

Dans

That will give him a surprise  :idea:   :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:31 pm »
Your cats have adopted him. Your opinion has become irrelevant  ;D :cat: :cat:    :cat:

;D

Funny from the cats' point of view - but perhaps less so from the p-o-v of the other humans who think he is their cat!  Still, if they don't put a collar and name/address tag on him, what can you do?

I've given up putting a collar and nametag on Snowball because the mad cat lady down the road just takes them off. Have had a quiet word and so far my cat is my own again but come autumn, she will be coming back smelling of log burner and cheap perfume again  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS