Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stolen Foals  (Read 4267 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Stolen Foals
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:21 am »
Just thought I would mention about the stolen foals from the Cranford Shetland Stud taken from their field a couple of weeks ago along with a 3 year old filly. They were only 8 wks old and far too young to be away from mum. More information at www.shetland-pony.com. Someome out there must know something and I know Gerry and kevin are doing everything they can to find them  :(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Stolen Foals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:53:25 am »
You seem to hear more and more these days about animals getting stolen, even as trivial as ducks and hens! All my Pygmy goats get locked up at night as do the ducks and geese. The Golden Guernsey and her kid also get locked up. However, Rosie, Toggi, Freddy and Gizmo (goats) don't. They have a shelter to go into which they do when it's wet but Rosie does not like the door being closed on her. The main trouble is 1 very small piece of our land at the back belongs to the Water Board and they have access to this 24 hours a day. However, when we got the animals we put a gate up (obviously) which the water board did not like - but tough. The moral of the story here is we cannot padlock this gate so anyone could come along and leave it open etc!

The also worry is some of us put a flag in the map to let other members on this site know where we are, are we not leaving therefore volunteering too much information to these low lives out there?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:53:11 pm by jameslindsay »

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:21:48 pm »
oh those poor babies and mothers :'(, they are way to young to leave the mares. Do you have more info or any pic so know what to look for, the 3 year old could be resold but the foals will need a lot of looking after. will keep an eye out, I hope they are found soon. :hshoe:

The also worry is some of us put a flag in the map to let other members on this site know where we are, are we not leaving therefore volunteering too much information to these low lives out there?

So easy to find most people using goggle maps, and if you put it on to satellite view you can suss out the place and buildings also, dose make you worry. Is there anything you can do to get your place removed from such map/places??

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31:24 pm »
I don't think you can hide anywhere unfortunately - Flash Earth and Google Earth will show up most places and you can find addresses on Royal Mail, 192.com and other sites.
If you click on this link http://www.shetland-pony.com/news/2009/stolen/prixbonnie.pdf you'll see a poster giving details of these poor babies.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:09 am »
With the new EU rule that all foals have to be chipped this year most people seem to think this will do nothing to stop the theft of ponies. Freeze branding is the best way to go I feel its far easier spotted and as far as I know at sales no one checks to see if pony is chipped. Some people have paid to have their ponies returned which is not the best thing to be doing but when your beloved pet is stolen all you want is them back. Its well know what group of people are doing the thefts but proving it and catching them in the act has proved to be difficult. I am lucky to have our own land so my ponies are around the place where I can see them all the time, plus my dogs would soon let us know if anyone one was going about.  As you say anyone can find where you live nowadays.  :horse:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS