Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from West KENT  (Read 3706 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Hello from West KENT
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:03 pm »
Hi all,

Just signed up, I am from near Sevenoaks in Kent, I am have been involved in Agriculture on and off for most of my life.
I currently only have a few chickens , but in the past have had cattle, sheep and pigs.

My aim is to get some more animals before my kids get too old to enjoy them.... all too soon.

Just need to dig out the holding number.... put up a few fences.... build a few shelters.....re hang some gates....and will be off. ;-)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from West KENT
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:24 am »
You need a list  ;D

Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:16 am »
Hello from staffs!

I used to holiday in sevenoaks when I was little, nice place.

Sounds like you have a lot to be getting on with, good luck! You'll find all the info you need from the good folks on here!  :wave:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:47:21 am »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:
We have hens on allotments, and fuit n veg but are rooting for land to keep animals. It would be nice to do it before the boys leave home but the years are marching quicker than our land finding  ::)

Good luck with your plans. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop  :thumbsup:

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:07:24 am »
Rosemary.....thanks I have a list.... Oh boy do I have list !

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:48:41 pm »
Oooh how exciting! I'm down between Ashford and Folkestone but there aren't many on here in the far South-East so it's nice to see another post from Kent. I don't have nearly your experience having just started dabbling last year when we moved into somewhere with eight acres. Currently have a pair of geese (fingers crossed the next lot of eggs are fertile and we end up with more), four ducks, six chickens, two cats and two bearded dragons (not sure they count as smallholding). Ohh, and three small(ish) children. Bees are coming soon and lots of fruit and veges are all underway. Husband is keen to start up a small vinyard and we're toying with the idea of bigger animals but nothing too serious there - the little ones take enough time. Might just grow on the odd pig or two.

Good luck with the list,

Hester

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:18 pm »
Hello HesterF,

I am not sure my experience is too valid, seems a life time ago now. Almost feels like I am starting a fresh,

I am very much enjoying the chickens that I got late in the summer, But the pressures of work and being a Single father mean that often plans get knocked back down the list. I really was hoping to get pigs this year .

I have a 20 acre plot that needs completely fencing, before I can get anymore animals. I like the idea of geese and ducks especially as they are easy to fence in !!

I have 2 couch potato cats and a dog that looks like he works....... but is pretty useless.

Bees !!! Love the idea, but know nothing about them. Fruit and veg is easy and rewarding but I have a huge problem with deer wrecking all my hard work !

I sometimes find the length of the list rather daunting but it is good to have a target and my kids are more than capable now of helping me.... If they are interested !

You sound like you have set yourselves some targets too. A Vinyard will be a challenge, the promise of fine wine is motivation enough I am sure.

I for one am looking forward to a bit of sun to get me out and working on that list. I work outside all day and have little enthusiasm to got back out after work in this weather.

Good luck

marc

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
Hello from East Kent.

It all takes time money and a bit of hard work, but worth it in the end. Good luck with your venture.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:34 pm »
mmmm time yes time ! I have lived here for over 13 years.... best get a move on lol

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:55:20 am »
welcome from West Sussex

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:00 am »
Hello from East Sussex!
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:48:04 pm »
Hello and welcome from Wales.     Did my ag degree at Wye College so know a lot of Kent.

Good luck and good fencing!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »
Another hello from Kent here, also sort of between Ashford and Folkestone just off the Romney marsh, we're the wrong side of the canal! We are also fencing at the moment, the window of opportunity from the ground being a bog to a bullet is too small!

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:42 am »
Hi...

We are on pure sand here so most tasks are quite easy. But as you say now is the best time.  I am off to pick up stakes this afternoon to start our first pig pen. All very exciting stuff.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:47:30 pm by 90driver »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS