Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fostering/unfostering!  (Read 3319 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Fostering/unfostering!
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:10:56 pm »
I've had quite a mixed bag of lambs so far - singles, twins and triplets.  Sadly one little triplet girl was found dead after three days, despite me seeing her jumping about and suckling.  One ewe seemed to be struggling with her labour so I called the vet out and she had two dead lambs, and one live.  I took a lamb born that morning off another ewe with triplets, rubbed the dead lamb fluids and afterbirth all over her, and put her in with the ewe, but although the ewe didn't reject her, she didn't take any interest in her and wouldn't stand for her to suckle.  I then had to try and return her to her original mum but this mum is now very suspicious and won't let any of them suckle!  I washed the lamb off with warm water, dried her and put all three lambs in a box with idea of taking two out (including the removed one) every hour or so.

An other ideas as to what I can do?  If all fails it will be another bottle feeding job  :-\
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Fostering/unfostering!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:15:16 pm »
Do you have an adopter? If you can put her in for a couple of days with the ewe of your choice once the lamb has slept next to her own and dunged out the ewe's own milk they'll smell the same.  We've made some adopters that allow the lambs to go round under the ewe's nose, which seems to work well.  Unless it's a slightly confused or over-fussy first-timer that just needs a day to settle down we never breed from the ewe again.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »
If you are fostering onto a ewe that has had a dead lamb the best thing would have been to let the ewe lick and mother the dead lamb and then skin it and put the skin on the lamb you want to foster on to the ewe.

I know that isn't much help to you now, but might be helpful in the future.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »
It might help to milk some from the real dam then rub it all over the lamb, especially over its head and back end.  Tends to leave it scruffy for days but helps the dam to recognise it as her own.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
I think all is well ( :fc: ), I gave the ewe a large feed and that seemed to quieten her down enough for the lambs to start suckling again.  Haven't seen the removed girl suckle yet but the mum is sniffing her and making 'mum' noises, so fingers crossed tomorrow she will still be here!

Thanks for the advice, something to think about next time. 

Another question - the ewe that had the dead lambs was the same ewe that had two large dead lambs last year and both times the first lamb was presented tail first.  Should I not breed from this ewe again?  I remember her being so mournful after losing her lambs last year, I did try and foster some cades onto her but she wouldn't have it.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:46 pm »
Personally I give ewes a second chance, she's had that so if she were mine then no I wouldn't breed her again ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:04:51 pm »
That's what I'm thinking too, shame as she's been a good mum previously when she's had a normal birth!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:51 pm »
If it was the same tup both years, don't put her to that tup again.

If it was a different tup, cull her.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:12:50 pm »
Yes it was the same tup, maybe I'll give her a third chance then with my Zwartbles tup! 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 05:43:48 pm »
Look at it from the other angle - why would you put the ewe through all that again?

Cull it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »
I agree - I occasionally give second chances if the ewe is quite exceptional in some way, but not thirds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS