Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fudge?  (Read 7560 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Re: Fudge?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »
Greenerlife,  when you say not like fudge.. Too runny like not really set?  If so you may not have beaten for long enough at the end I find there is a fine line between not beaten enough and just right and if you beat too much it sets all of a sudden in the saucepan and we have to eat it is bits from there  :innocent:  it should start to feel gritty like the sugar is graduating in it I think. My family are just as happy with slightly runny refrigerated fudge  :excited:
So many ideas, not enough hours

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 05:45:31 pm »
Greenerlife,  when you say not like fudge.. Too runny like not really set?  If so you may not have beaten for long enough at the end I find there is a fine line between not beaten enough and just right and if you beat too much it sets all of a sudden in the saucepan and we have to eat it is bits from there  :innocent:  it should start to feel gritty like the sugar is graduating in it I think. My family are just as happy with slightly runny refrigerated fudge  :excited:
Well - it came to temperature really quickly and then I beat it for about a minute before having to rush itinto its tin before it set!  It's absolutely delicious but the texture is melt in the mouth rather than slightly chewy.  more like a crumbly kendall cake if that makes sense?

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:26:06 pm »
Ooh I like it like that, perhaps you'd better make another batch to compare  :excited:

So many ideas, not enough hours

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »
I need fudge.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »
Ooh I like it like that, perhaps you'd better make another batch to compare  :excited:

;D ;D

Well, it contains milk, which must mean I have to eat it all within a couple of days doesn't it?   :innocent:

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:26 pm »
Right - i now have my neighbours recipe and am making it now!

1/2 pint milk
1 can condensed milk
8 ozs butter or marg (yuk!)
2 rounded tablespoons golden syrup
2lbs granulated sugar
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla essence

Place all ingredients into a heavy bottomed pan.  Bring to boil very slowly.  Boil quickly stirring constantly (this is very important allegedly) until 240 degrees or soft ball stage.  Remove from heat and beat until thick and grained.  pour into buttered tins to set.

I'll let you know how I get on!...

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 03:54:23 pm »
OMG!!!  Have started eating the above even before it's set!  Scrummy...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 11:54:27 am »

;D ;D

Well, it contains milk, which must mean I have to eat it all within a couple of days doesn't it?   :innocent:
Anything with milk has just GOT to be good for you hasn't it? :thinking:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:28 pm »
There used to be a fab recipe on the nestle condensed milk tins that I made years and years ago. It was like scotch tablet but more buttery/creamy. Oh hell, I'll have to make some now you buggers! I LOVE fudge. I find it very difficult to stop eating once I start. I'm going to be very very fat and all my teeth will fall out and I'll have spots and it's all your fault.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS