Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping a ram in with pregnant ewes  (Read 5730 times)

Ians suffolks

• Joined Mar 2013
Keeping a ram in with pregnant ewes
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:14:26 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and also quite new to sheep but I've been reading everything that I can to get up to speed.
I have 15 Suffolk shearling ewes who I have put to my new ram,(first time for all of us). They have two weeks to go before due to lamb but I have had to bring them all under cover as the snow, cold and wind has been dreadful.
So my question is that I have very little space available inside and have had to put the ram with the ewes. He is pretty quiet most of the time but what do you think about the arrangement and should I try to pen him on his own for the ewes sake or will he be lonely or troublesome kept on his own.

Ian.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Keeping a ram in with pregnant ewes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:29:43 pm »
We left ours with our pregnant ewes last year but he was a real pain.  I think the ewes give off some sort of hormone when they give birth and it just sent him scatty.  It was as if he wanted to protect his ewes from us.  We wouldnt do it again, but it all depends on your circumstances I suppose. 
Good luck with your first lambs.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:33:18 pm »
So long as he is not rough at feeding time he may not be a problem, at some point he will need a mate to allow him to be separated  from the ewes .

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41:57 pm »
He will be happy in a separate pen, next to the ewes, as long as he can see them and smell them, for the time being. My concern, as has been mentioned before, is that they can get a bit rough with the ladies around feeding time if kept in with them. And he will need a mate when separated from the flock

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:44 am »
My ram lives with my girls all year round and never really a problem when they lamb (outdoors) he is very protective not aggressive towards me but anything that goes withing 6 foot of ewe & lamb normally end up on the floor!

Ians suffolks

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:52 am »
Thanks for the replies, I think I will keep him in with them for a while longer and see how they all get along.

Does anyone have any advice about letting him stay with the lambs and at what point would one of his sons be old enough to be moved with him to a separate field.

Ian.

Lswswake

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:51 am »

Does anyone have any advice about letting him stay with the lambs and at what point would one of his sons be old enough to be moved with him to a separate field.

Hi - did you ever find the answer to this question? Our ram is in the field next door and constantly looking through the lambing shed window - thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:03:01 am »
This is an old post that seems to have bobbed back up to the surface. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS