Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: International Tractor  (Read 11559 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
International Tractor
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:21:57 pm »
The time has come to get a tractor and I wondering if anyone has had any experience of International?

There is an old (s reg) International 454 for sale locally, that has a few things that need a little work on but which my husband and sons can do.

We have 8 acres and need a good all rounder for a tractor.  Mainly grass ( and reed) cutting at the moment.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: International Tractor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:23 pm »
I know absolutely zilch about farm machinery, but the old chap who dug my drains for my new house (previous one to this one) was one of those that collected old bits and bobs.  He once asked me to look on the internet for an International - I found one for him, they are very sought after so they must be good.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:06 am »
That's great, thank you.

I'm going to go and have a look today. 

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:18:53 am »
one of our tractors was an international 434...........it was tiny but went day after day after day  :farmer:

we used it on allthe fields forone thing or another, and the camping fields. it was none stop comehay making time,turning and rowing up  ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:46:37 am »
we have two tractors 1 is a really old international 464 which has had very little tlc but still goes and goes and goes. we have replaced the newer ones 4 times in the period I have worked there.(27 years) It may be because the newer one has the bucket on so gets a bit more abuse, but I still prefer the old 464

Ian

BillyC

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:44 am »
I have just sold a 454 (S reg), they are a good machine. The whole thing is driven from a hydraulic pump - including the steering. the steering ram is weak and will leak oil but is cured, for a while at least, with a new seal.

The engine is bomb proof but be careful to put the right oil in the gearbox - Hydraulic oil. I ended up removing the cab heater at the engine block because the cooling system constantly had air in it - that is a fatal problem to any diesel engine!

Two things to make sure works the water temperature gauge and the switch to the inline preheater (if it stays on it burns out (£35 to replace) + a bit of bad language

Paul   

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:11 pm »
Many thanks for all your comments.

We went to take a look today and there is a lot more wrong with the International than was put in the ad!  Not really a surprise I suppose.

Anyway, having seen it I think we will look to spend a bit more and get something with a loader for the lifting jobs around here.  Will need a topper too.

Was talking to the digger driver we have here clearing the drainage ditches today and he has some contacts who he is going to talk to and find out what is about for sale around here  at the moment.

The farmer opposite kindly leant us his young lad and tractor/topper to cut everything back yesterday so that we can see what we've got.  So need to get ourselves a tractor soon so that we can keep on top of it all.

Nothing has been done to the land here for around 5 years or so.  Just having it all cut down has made a huge difference. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »
Well done, you've made a few good decisions so far.  You're on the right road, and it seems you have made friends who have respect for you or they wouldn't offer the help.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »
Thank you doganjo.  People here are lovely, we are making some very nice friends...even though we've only been here just over 3 months, it feels as though we are settling in.

Thought I'd let you all know that I've decided on a Case 885 with a front loader and a topper which was for sale locally.  They are being delivered on Tuesday, so my crash course (well not literally I hope!) in tractor driving  and grass cutting will start then!

In good condition mechanically, needs a little tlc cosmetically....which hubby and sons can do.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 02:25:58 pm »
A friend of mine has a IH 454 that he restored from ground up & he uses that for ploughing matches... he loves it.

We had both case 845 & 885 with loaders when we had our farm. The 845 was plauged with gearbox problems from new & didn't last too long with us.
The 885 was a different beast altogether & never missed a beat in the years we had it.

When we had our sale, the tractor had 12000hrs & was still going strong.

Just remember to service it regularly, always use quality oils, filters etc & it'll serve you well.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:39 pm »
Thanks Daveravey, that's good to know.

It's going really well.......in between the torrential rain we seem to have had since we got the tractor!

The topper has arrived, so can't wait to get out and use it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS