Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Triplets!  (Read 3513 times)

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
Triplets!
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:53:39 pm »
One of our mules had triplets on Wednesday night.  Three good, big lambs and the ewe is feeding all three just now with no input from us.  We tubed each with some Provita about an hour after birth, but that's it.  I can't recall leaving three on a ewe before - is it possible?  She has plenty of milk and is very fussy about the lambs - got very cross with me today when I was putting rings on their tails  :D.  Should we introduce a bottle a couple of times a day to top them up or just keep an eye and step in only if any are failing to thrive?

They're in at the moment and I'm contemplating keeping them in (along with any others who lamb) until the fields look a bit better - grass is so scarce they might be best in on feed and hay/silage - so will be able to keep a close eye.

Thanks.

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
Re: Triplets!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:50:02 pm »
I've seen commercial ewes rear triplets fine.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:03 am »
Most of ours will raise triplets but you do need to keep an eye on them and top up with a bottle if necessary.  Keeping all ours in at the moment as the weather's still grotty and will keep triplets in longer to make sure they are all getting their fair share.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:12:07 am »
I only have one feeding triplets and the reson is she gave birth to twins and decided to adopt a cade all on her own I do top them all up twice a day and make sure their all getting a share from mum

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:27 am »
Depends on the condition of the ewe and how good your grazing is, whether you're giving her additional feed and whether you have a 3 or 4 year old ewe in good condition with a single lamb of the same age you could foster the strongest lamb on to.  I try to spread the milking load evenly rather than worry who raises what.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:24:08 pm »
We are on our 6th set of triplets from 9 ewes!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 06:40:11 pm »
Much as I dislike mules I would have thought one of their saving graces is that they should be very milky and I can't see a problem with leaving three on her.

Stanlamb

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »
Thanks all.  Can't believe someone doesn't like mules  ;D!  Ours are absolutely mad but brilliant mothers.  Anyway, these three are still doing okay - have moved them away from the lamp (which they didn't really need!) to a bigger nursery area with room for the lambs to run about and will keep an eye on em there for a few days.  The ewe is getting around 3+ pounds of Ewe and Lamb Blend each day along with plenty of silage and a little hay .... she's a very greedy lady and much enjoying the extra grub  ::).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS