Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This weather...  (Read 1735 times)

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
This weather...
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:18:39 pm »
My three Wilt ewes are due to lamb soon.  The plan was to lamb them outside, does this continuing cold weather mean that I need to change plan and get them in to lamb?

I'm in the midlands so although there are more exposed parts of the UK, it is pretty blooming cold here with no change to the weather forecast...

At the moment I've created a shelter for them using hurdles, wind break netting and a tarp. 

Any thoughts?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: This weather...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »
Is the ground dry?

I have lambed wilts outside in Feb with frost on the ground they did fine.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:36:40 pm »
Everything is covered in snow at the mo but before that it wasn't water logged or anything...

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:46 pm »
If there's windbreak/ shelter and theres just frost not snow or sodden ground then I think they would be ok to lamb outside, although ideally I like to whip them in as soon as I see they are born, in order that they can dry off, I can check they are drinking and I can also castrate any boys as ours are Shetlands so with us 1-2 years rather than just a few months. If its dry and sunny and they are ewe lambs then they go out ina few hours, boys I usually castrate at 24 hours so they would be in overnight.

If it isn't poss to bring them in at all then if it is nasty weather I would think about lamb macs maybe, and invest in lots of clean old towels to dry the lambs as best as poss.maybe use a line of straw bales to insulate the outdoor shelter or create extra 'arms' to it.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:57:56 am »
Thank you for your comments.  I'll try to get the lambs dry as soon as I can.
...and providing they have a wind break and rudimentary temporary shelter then they should be OK...

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
We have Wilts and so far they have lambed outside but we have then brought them in to bonding pens. Would normally  turn them out after 48 hours but have kept them in this year till we have a break in the weather. They are a hardy breed which is why we chose them but I worry about the lambs - they look so tiny!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS