Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep advice please- run up to lambing!  (Read 4020 times)

lou995

• Joined Feb 2013
  • leics
Sheep advice please- run up to lambing!
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »
Evening all  :wave:

I'm new to the sheep side of things, i worked on a dairy farm for the last 7 years so well aware of dry cow management and calving however sheep are a whole new ball game! I've got 6 Southdown ewes that all should be in lamb. Potentially lambs could start arriving after this weekend(assuming they go 145days) One ewe is bagging up well now, are there any warning signs i can look for before i see signs of starting to lamb? I understand that breeds are probably all different and the individual sheep may give hints or not, would be nice to be half a step infront of them! :innocent: ;D
I was supposed to be attending an 'lambing for smallholders' but the college cancelled due to lack of interest! So i'm throwing myself in at the deep end and will generally treat them as miniature cows if i have to assist lambing!
Keeping them in over night now and daytime if weather bad. Adlib hay available always, lifeline lick.
4 shearlings 2 BIG ewe lambs.

Thanks  :thumbsup:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: Sheep advice please- run up to lambing!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:35:41 pm »
Im no expert, but my first experience of lambing last year was with southdowns. They are a wonderfully docile breed, and they make good, milky mums. I would be careful about not giving too much hay as you get close to lambing, it can lead to prolapse. Also with the shearlings being first time mums, it may be a bit of a shock for them, so id keep an eye on the ladies. It it just my opinion, but as a breed, they are not always the easiest of lambers, so if you can get a little hands on instruction from a local flock its a definite bonus. Contact the breed secretary, they are very helpful. Good luck  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »
Lou, do you have a good book?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
Spend as much time as you can watching them - you sill see the signs - then they will keep you waiting a week!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lou995

• Joined Feb 2013
  • leics
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
Thanks,
I've got the 'Sheep Health, Husbandry and Disease' book, just thought i'd ask for a bit of breed specific info on here.
Checking them regularly but working on the theory a continuously watched sheep never lambs.! ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:15:35 pm »
Your probably right there - since our first lambs three days ago I'm on 2/3 hourly checks apart from 1.00 -5.30 and no more yet - if I miss one... But so snowy just can't.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:18 am »
I also work on a dairy farm and i've got my own flock. I've found everything is rather simular, In some cases its slightly different but reguarding the lambing side of things its the same principle. They need to be in the same position as a calf and they need their colostrum just like a calf.

The only things I had to learn was feeding pregnant ewes and whats meds and wormers to use (still not sure on whats what sometimes but hey ho!)

Good luck! :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:08 am »
I agree with thenovice they are slightly more difficult I think because a bit more chunky and small pelvis/womb.  Be careful if you have to assist and push lamb back. Make sure you rope head/legs before you do as I had a disaster other year when I didn't and head went back. No room with twins to manipulate and I ended up losing the lot.

They do lamb earlier, 145/146 days consistently and usually look agitated and uncomfortable. Depending how tame they are I found my difficult one this year lambed best ever while I was asleep! Kept her legs crossed every time I checked the at about 4am out they popped. I only knew when others woke me up with their calling cos one lamb had crawled through bars.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »
I have a flock of Southdowns and find people often feed them too much during pregnancy. They keep their condition much better than many breeds and the combination of big lambs and too much  body fat is bad for any breed.  If they've originally come from a flock run on commercial lines, with relentless culling for anything less than all-round good performance, they probably have less problems than many breeds, as they have much narrower shoulders and a longer neck than, say, the Texel or Beltex.   Mine began lambing six days early this year - first day should have been tomorrow and have so far had triplets, two sets of twins and a single - all lambed themselves and had vigorous lambs up and suckling within 15 minutes.  Look out for a hollow in front of the pelvis - more noticeable in Down breeds than most others.  Standing under a hayrack or in a quiet corner looking thoughtful. Holding out the tail or squatting but not dunging or peeing.  Lifting upper lip.  Pawing the ground and turning around. 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:50:35 pm »
I have a flock of Southdowns and find people often feed them too much during pregnancy. They keep their condition much better than many breeds and the combination of big lambs and too much  body fat is bad for any breed.

This.

Condition score 2 is absolutely fine for a ewe due to lamb. Overfeeding seems to lead to complications. I don't have any Southdowns, but I think the advice above is good whatever breed you have.

lou995

• Joined Feb 2013
  • leics
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »
Thanks all  :thumbsup:

pics should be of the closest to lamb, think shes holding on for warmer weather.
Any guesses for how close she could potentially be?
 (sorry pics come up huge,will look into re-sizing)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:56:30 pm by lou995 »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »
Wouldn't like to guess - depends on the individual.  I've had ewes waddling around looking like an overstuffed sofa for weeks before lambing and ewes so slim that we suspected they might have reabsorbed their scanned lambs, then give birth two days later!   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:48 pm »
Wouldn't like to guess - depends on the individual.  I've had ewes waddling around looking like an overstuffed sofa for weeks before lambing and ewes so slim that we suspected they might have reabsorbed their scanned lambs, then give birth two days later!

This
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS