Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pietrain X Saddle back  (Read 2448 times)

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
Pietrain X Saddle back
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows  how the meat from a pietrain x saddleback will turn out. We had GOS last time and the meat was lovely, a bit fatty but tasted out of this world 8)  Someone has told me that the pietrain will be leaner but hoping that it will still have lots of taste. What sort of size do they grow to? Would it be similar to the GOS?

Thanks for any help/advice

:wave:

HappyHippy

Re: Pietrain X Saddle back
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:45:35 am »
Yes, they should be a bit leaner with pietrain in the mix (pietrains are really lean) and will be ready around the same time as your GOS, or possibly a bit earlier - I always think that crosses grow a bit quicker than a pure traditional breed.
HTH
Karen

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »
Thanks Karen

Thought we would go with them for a change and they are massive compared to the old spots we got at the same age. And eating more but hey ho!!!!

Shaun

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:51:54 am »
I bought a couple of pure pietrains a few years ago and they were huge got almost twice as much meat from them that my osb's It was very lean but they had been outdoor reared so it still tasted fantastic.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS