Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lucozade and other energy drenches for sheep  (Read 9879 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Lucozade and other energy drenches for sheep
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:05:25 am »
Hello.
Yes I'm still nursing my poorly sheep.
Someone suggested giving him lamlac milk, which I have in, and adding ovaltine. Or eggs. Or honey.
Someone also suggested lucozade. I did give him a bit and he liked it.
The trouble is, I have no idea how much of this stuff I should be giving him and in what quantities I should be mixing things together.
Thank you
Joanne xxx
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:39:32 am by JMB »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lucozade and other energy drenches for sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
Sorry, I'm not up to speed with the story here.  How old is he?  Is he still not wanting his milk?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:05 am »
I know that people tend to use all sorts of "remedies" - but there are plenty of reasonably priced lamb energy drinks on the market - why not just get the correct items that contain more than just glucose or sugar? (ie fats and minerals)

The ones that immediately spring to mind are: Lamb kick Start, Lamb Tonic, Lamb Boost.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
He's nearly a year old.
I looked at some mineral drench in the agricultural shop -Optigain - but this looks like something you give once in a while.
I'm nursing a sheep with suspected fluke. May it  not survive but the current problem is that he's not eating or drinking and I'm looking for daily boosters I can get in a syringe and feed him as he's not responding to grain or any of the usual stuff
Thanks
J xx

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 02:02:40 pm »
You could try Liquid Life Aid

here is the manufacturers link - http://www.norbrook.com/products/liquid-life-aid-oral-solution/

We sell it at a tad under £9.00 + postage - but you should be able to get it locally at your agri store
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 03:33:06 pm »
Thanks very much for the link. My agri store didn't suggest it and I've never seen it there.

For speed, I'll look at other local stores on Monday but good to know I can get it from SFS as another option.
Thanks again
J xxxx

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 08:55:27 pm »
Although I am a firm believer in using the properly formulated products, I still think it is worth while knowing the quantities of such first aid emergency household bits and bobs.

Many people do get caught out, and don't have the proper stuff to hand and at 7 o'clock on a Saturday evening is a rubbish time to discover the twin lamb drench bottle is empty. Tesco however is open till 10 and do sell lucozade. Sometimes to save a life this info is invaluable.
So I will also ask....
If giving lucozade, how much would one give and must it be flat?

Thankies!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:02:40 am »
Have you tried the sachets meant for calves ? Forget the name you mix the 2 sachets together in 2 litres of warm water ?  ( is it life aid ?? ) It's v good for dehydration treats calves for scour but can be given to sheep and pigs too ! I had a very weak ewe lamb from last years lambing this week , think this weather had taken it 's toll. Brought her into the shed , she just lay there I gave had teaspoons of the pink stuff every few hours , had to pour them into her mouth , then introduced some multimilk  out a bottle , she was back on her feet in a day.still in shed but eating hay and nuts now and drinking fine. Good luck ! X

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:43 am »
I don't know if it's the one LOCHBYRE means, but Pfizer Scour Formula is one such - meant for calves but you can use it for sheep; keeps their electrolytes up etc.

If you think the rumen has stopped, natural live yoghurt can help restart it.

And try adding ginger to any drench, helps settle things.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:24 pm »
That's the one sallyinthenorth ! X

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:45:52 pm »
I use milk, an egg yolk and treacle as an energy thing for twinlamb etc as per VSS's book, but I add some kind of fortified cereal to it and blend it (usually readybrek, but often weetabix). It seems to work and costs nothing like £9.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS