Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lumpy bumpy noses on my pregnant ewes.  (Read 3152 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Lumpy bumpy noses on my pregnant ewes.
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »
Hi, have noticed of late (within last week at most) that many of my pregnant ewes have lumps and bumps on their lovely noses. Some are scabby and bleeding a little. I'm very much hoping that it's just trauma from the bars of the hayrack but it's much more noticeable that in previous years. One looks like she's almost got a 'roman' nose at the mo with her little collection. Concerns me a little. They've all had wormer with flukicide and heptavac just over a month ago which should covers most lurgies  :-\

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Lumpy bumpy noses on my pregnant ewes.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »
Pictures would be good. It could be Orf.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:41:48 pm »
You reckon? Bugger! Really doesn't look like orf. No blisters or pustules. Nothing on the mouth or nostrils, just the bridge of the nose as such. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Really worried now (need a 'tearing hair out' widget Dan)  :o

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:30:45 am »
Fluke can cause these bumps on the noses. Check for resistance for the flukicides you use. Up here farmers have been fluking their sheep at least every 4 weeks in some areas.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:07:01 am »
I did wonder about fluke. They were drenched for the first time ever about six weeks ago having been concerned at the talk of high presence of fluke elsewhere. Never had it in the flock though but have noticed alot drinking from the huge choice of puddles on their field despite a full water trough  ???  I'll try and get a pic today (in the pouring rain/sleet/snow)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:11 am »
Have conversed with vet. Def not Fluke. Def not Orf but treating with PenStrep for next five days to be safe.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »
Fluke can cause these bumps on the noses. Check for resistance for the flukicides you use. Up here farmers have been fluking their sheep at least every 4 weeks in some areas.

Oh my gods really?? I never knew that.

My girls have had this, but now it is on the mend.
I fluked them about a month ago and that is when it started to improve. I never put 2 and 2 together :dunce:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS