Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Letting dog chase sheep  (Read 3542 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Letting dog chase sheep
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »
Now that I've got your attention!

I have two dogs, both spaniels. The older one is not interested in sheep so although I'd be extra careful around lambing season (i.e. now) he's not a problem. The younger one, a bitch, is an unknown quantity having never encountered sheep.

Is there a "safe" time to see how she'd react and thus train her out of it? Some dogs are specially bred to chase sheep and although I don't think it's in her nature to savage one, I wouldn't want to cause harm/distress

What time of year do they start training sheep dogs?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Letting dog chase sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »
Well if you were in Wiltshire I would offer to let you bring dog now and put with my ewe and her lambs.  If she was going to chase them she will only try once! That ewe will send her flying and I guarantee she will give a wide berth forever more.

You will probably find a friendly farmer or smallholder who will assist. If kept on a long training lead so you still have control it should be possible to see what she is going to do. Usually spaniels are soft and just inquisitive. If likely to chase a protective ewe or a ram will sort them out.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:50:05 pm »
They do chase deer, though what a cocker would do to one if he caught it is anyone's guess!

A nice sensible reply, though, thanks! There have been some sheep savaged in a field adjacent to where I walk them and although I keep well away, I'm always paranoid about them getting shot by the farmer

Training lead is a good idea, I use a horse leader because she snapped the dog one!

Bluestar

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:41 am »
 :wave: I was concerned when I moved to my present house in that I didn't know what my Flatties reaction would be to sheep. He is well trained and fine with hens, rabbits etc. but when on lead did seem a bit "interested" in sheep. A neighbour told me that a local farmer had approached him and told him in no uncertain terms that if his lab. got into his sheep he would be shot. Was anxious to get off on the right foot with local farmers. I asked a farmer who trains collies and is well respected in the area if I could pay him to look at my dogs reaction to sheep. He took him into his sheep field with me on a long training lead ..... long piece of rope attached to his collar. After watching him for a while he said that he felt confident to let him run off lead in the field .... if he chased then it would be no different to his young collies chasing and we would stop him. Alf ignored the sheep and so the farmer called his sheep to him and threw a stick that Alf found into the middle of the flock. Alf retrieved the stick with no thought to the sheep at all  :relief:.

We walk Alf around now and although we are obviously respectful of stock, especially at lambing time, we have had no negative comments from farmers. Think it soon gets round on the grapevine if you are considered responsible and then everyone feels at ease.

Is there a local farmer, maybe one with an interest in dogs, that could help you in a similar way?
Look at me go!

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:44:15 am »
It's mainly for sheep on my own land, if it comes to it. When does lambing season end?

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29:17 am »
we used to put ours in a small pen with the biggest meanest tup, not big enough to get a good run up but will scare the dog stiff!
My lab eats out of the troughs with the sheep, i think its cos he's yellow so he blends in

Long lines are a must if your not 100% sure of the dog

HTH
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:03 pm »
we used to put ours in a small pen with the biggest meanest tup, not big enough to get a good run up but will scare the dog stiff!
Thats just what our dog trainer does, we have Labs but they have never given a sheep a second look although I keep well away usualy a few weeks ago I noticed some lovely Soay sheep in a field next to where I was walking so I stopped and put my dogs on the lead, they did not even look but the sheep came running to the gate for a treat..it was so cute...not going there again though although we actually went through the same field on a beat and none of the many dogs that were with us went up to the sheep at all!!!
Just like Children, if they get stirred up they will chase them unless you can find someone with a big ram :thumbsup:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »
We have a spaniel too. She first met lambs when she was about 6 months old, she will come in the pen with us and the minute she tries to follow them she's told no in a firm voice and told to lie down. She doesn't chase them out in the field, if anything they will follow her! That's around our lambs though, I don't let her off the lead off of the farm as her recall off the farm isn't the best  :-\

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:46:20 pm »
Our 9 month old is a collie cross and he was stamped on by a grumpy ewe at 4 months which gave him a healthy respect towards them. however, he now knows which one of our sheep will run away rather than  turn and face him, stamp and charge towards him and he will take chase. I've had to resort to a length of training lead so he doen'st have total freedom but can still get away from the ewes that want to stamp on him.  Other thing I've done is keep him with a longish length of baler twine so I can step on it and lead him away etc.
Have found that the goats put him in his place too quite nicely  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
Another method which I have used with success is a long (ish) line and a lunge whip.   If the dog looks at the sheep with interest bring the whip down just in front of the dogs nose.  This works better than trying to drag them back with the line.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS